DnB Help me decide if the maudio 88 key controller is right for me

Souled In

1) I want to synthesize the type of music like on roni size's new forms album disc 2, and on prodigy's album music for the gilted generation. I also like chill ambient groove stuff or even as inspirational and light like enya. Not sure if that helps answer my question or not haha. I'm new :o :P.

2) Mainly, I want to buy a bang for the buck controller. So I want an 88 key because I play piano, and who can resist actually playing songs once in a while? A 77 key would be fine, but I never see any of those.

3)) I can hear the sounds real time when playing a controller as long as the software is set up to do so right, and it is connected to speakers?

4) Is maudio even good? I was previously looking at the Korg 61 legacy. Is the legacy software really good? I thought I would just use whatever software comes with reason or cubase or whatever I end up using, etc...

I'd love to have a module connected to it, but I'm on a huge budget, but I'm sick of sitting around not making music, and I'm very ADD so let's be honest, I can't do EVERYTHING on the computer. I have to get my hands dirty

Thanks for any input or advice you might give!

1. no it doesn't you could do everything without a controller :) it just helps the creative workflow i guess
2. yes, they're not that expensive
3. yeppers
4. go to a music store for advice (and ask if you can try em out!), do a couple google searches, and yea you should probably just use a common DAW

Hope that helped, all in all I don't think M-audio is a bad choice.

1. no it doesn't you could do everything without a controller :) it just helps the creative workflow i guess
2. yes, they're not that expensive
3. yeppers
4. go to a music store for advice (and ask if you can try em out!), do a couple google searches, and yea you should probably just use a common DAW

Hope that helped, all in all I don't think M-audio is a bad choice.

all of this really

also i say M-Audio are decent. their cheaper controllers are a bit cheap & cheerful but their higher range stuff is of good quality (i played classical piano for 9 years so i know what to look for in a keyboard)

M-audio sell several 88 key controllers so I'm not sure which one you're referring to, but if you mean the 88 'keystation' and you're looking for something with the expression of a piano then no, it isn't really for you. They also have the 'oxygen' 88 key controller at more than double the price of the keystation, which they claim has a graded hammer-action keybed - might be more appropriate for a piano feel. As someone who also has a background in piano I use and can recommend the studiologic vmk series of controllers for the feel of a real piano. They do a 76 key version which is currently at a great price on thomann. Or try to find an old kurzweil keyboard on ebay. Sorry I'm making quite a few assumptions about what you're looking for, you might be satisfied with lightweight synth style keys, in which case the cheaper m-audio model should be fine.

you might be satisfied with lightweight synth style keys, in which case the cheaper m-audio model should be fine.

ha nah. i have an oxygen 25 and while it's okay for splashing about it's pretty bad for any real playing.

a friend has the m-audio axiom pro 61 and it's fucking badass. the keys are great, and the addition of like a million faders is great, it's like a mini mixer.

but honestly OP go to a decent music shop and play around with what they have. the difference between a controller for £100 and for £200 is HUGE

Okay awesome, thanks a lot yall. I ordered the 71 korg legacy controller for 189 bucks, woot!

I've always struggled with the drums as opposed to the high crazy electronic stuff, but hopefully I'll get there this time.. .

Back
Top Bottom