Help me buy a DJ controller

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by mental marv, Dec 6, 2010.

1. mental marv

mental marv New Member

First of i have mixed with vinyl for a good few years and STILL essential tunes on vinyl.. However due to financial difficulties i had to sell my decks about a month ago..

Basically im looking to buy a dj controller thingy that i can just plug in to my macbook and mix some tunes, would also be nice to take around to parties and stuff and be able to just mix some tunes out and about too...

Would be nice if it had the jog wheels, 3 band eq, and maybe some effects (but not really essential).. Also (and im not sure this is even possible) but could you connect up turntables to it and effectively have four decks running, or that just a crazy idea?

I aint got a clue what i should be looking for, and am pretty much a noob when it comes to all this digital dj malarky.. I dont really have a lot of money maximum would prob be around £150 could maybe stretch to 200 but would rather not unless the step up is greater for the sake of 50 quid say...

If anybody could offer me some recommendations and some advice that would be cool..

Thanks in advance... :2thumbs:

2. ilovelondon

ilovelondon Call me Jens.

about hooking up turntables: no usb controller can do that...

check what looks good to you here: http://www.djstore.com/group/usbcontrollers/page/1/sort/price.htm

I've got a hercules, one of the older types. Just to fool around when i can't connect my computer (traktor scratch) to my setup...
    Watch youtube vids for the ones within your budget, you'll find loads of reviews for stuff like that.

Be careful with soundcards though! You might wanna go for a built in soundcard in the controller, or you can't cue a tune in your headphones before playing it...
    This is not a problem if you've got an additional soundcard or multichannel soundcard to bypass this problem. If you don't know if this is the case, you most likely don't have it.

3. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

This is what im using at the mo actually (since scratch is being such a stupidly anoying prick) and it works really well IMO.
    Im using Traktor Duo & a Behringer BCD3000 and it works like a charm, can get some really professional sounding mixes from just this set up. Just plug in and go basically, since Duo has the BCD3000 mapping all ready built in.
    Like ilovelondon said ive heard the Hercules controller is also pretty good, but haven't had any expeience with it.
    Oh and also stay clear of the BCD2000, ive heard its shit.

4. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Hmm, i have the VMS4 and have to say, once all the kinks are ironed out, its an amazing controller. 400 GBP though :/

5. ilovelondon

if a controller gets pricey, it's normally the quality of the soundcard that drives the cost up. Making a midi controller (without soundcard) isn't hard to make for the companies, you can find youtube vids from guys that make controllers from shoeboxes by soldering their buttons, knobs and faders themselves...

6. mental marv

mental marv New Member

@ilovelondon : Yeah i didnt know you needed an external soundcard to hear the cue track in your phones, but then when you think about it its quite obvious really...lol.... Yeah i was looking at a hercules E2 controller, for £100 thats a steal surely and like you i only want it for messing around on at home, can still use vinyl and cd's at mates or gigs....

@sicx : Is the behringer controller you have better quality than the normal behringer product.? Ive had bad experiences in the past with a behringer mixes i owned, and a lot of people say to avoid them at all costs... Then i spose the good thing about it is that it comes with traktor 3 LEdoesnt it? Ive used traktor pro a couple of times, how does LE compare to pro? Whats the differences.?

Was also looking at the newmark mixtrack, its quite cheap and has bigger jog wheels, which are more comparative to cdj wheels...

Thanks for your input....

7. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Would like to add,

The VMS4 utilises midilog (midi + analog), and you CAN hook up turntables. I have a technik TT hooked up right now :)

(also big platters :) )

8. ilovelondon

my hercules does have a soundcard btw...

spending money on a controller to mix on without a headphone, you might regret it.
    And buying an extra soundcard to go with a standard controller is a bit of a fuss in my eyes.
    Especially because the controller + laptop 'fool around setup' its extreme portability is its greatest benefit, i wouldn't want extra unnecessary cables/hardware.

9. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

Yeah ive also heard that, to be honest I think its really good. Its well built and easy to use, the main criticism ive heard is that its a bit cramped, which I suppose it is, but im used to it by now. Then again like i've said i've had no real experience with other controllers.
    Nd yeah it does come with Traktor 3 but i've not used it, so I cant really help you out there mate.

10. kama

kama benkama.net

I've got the Hercules RMX. It's pretty solid but the soundcard part is the weak point. It's pretty cheap though, and most people wont notice the sound quality on small systems anyway.

Wrote a review of it too if you need some detailed info.

11. mental marv

mental marv New Member

Nice one karma, that review is quite helpful, pretty sure Bailey was testing that out at the BPM show this year, he said it was pretty good... I also like the behringer, some good reviews of the controller about... WIll have a look on ebay and see how much could pick up one of them hercules rmx's up for....

Cheers for the help.. :2thumbs:

12. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

I got one of those Hercules dj control mpw e2's and its pretty good, apart from the jogwheels stopped working on mine for some reason but i can still mix with it. Also, the thing is fucking tiny. I didnt realise how small it would be. I use a £15 soundcard i got from ebuyer with it.

13. Controller

Controller (╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻

I don't think you could afford me

14. craig@zool

craig@zool New Member

Although it doesn't hook up to turntables (and for your budget you will be pressed to find anything!) the Numark Mixtrack Pro is by far the best controller in its price range, big jog wheels, effects etc that you are looking for, although it comes with VDJ, I use mine with Traktor Pro and works a treat (Used it at many clubs and parties and hasnt let me down), Also the built in sound card is really good.

15. hazdaman100

hazdaman100 Bum 'n Face

was that tumbleweed there.........

16. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Holy hell. Old thread is old.

17. CL4RKY

CL4RKY Rave Whore

ive got a pioneer ddjt1 with my cdjs and 1210s the thing is the nuts i was originally looking at the numark ns7 because the platters actually spin but this one is just as good without you just have to learn to use traktor if you havnt before or your on serato or vdj because theres no maps for it to be used on other software that i know of