Drum & Bass Help making this Lead sound!

Discussion in 'Production' started by GoatSnake, Feb 22, 2012.

1. GoatSnake

GoatSnake New Member

In this mix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-jZp57zi8M at 13:57
    there is a very nice example of a lead i've been kicking around in my head for a while.
    I use Massive and I can't seem to get close to that sound.

Is Massive a adequate synth for dnb leads? Could someone give me a few tips? A full tutorial would be godly but I don't really expect anyone to do that lol.

If it hasn't dawned on anyone yet i'm fairly new to all of this only understanding the very basics.

I know Massive is great for gnarly bass, is there a synth that is known for it's leads or more atmospheric noise output?

Point me in the right direction please! :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

Dude Massive is all you need, you can create every kind of sound with every different plugin. To me it sounds as an sine or triangle waveform, filtered, maybe a small pitch modulation.. Also it sounds like some choir sound is layered in there.

3. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

This. Ditto on the choir layering as well...perhaps a touch of some kind of reverb-automation...or it could be Massive's sweet Dimensional Expander...

4. GoatSnake

GoatSnake New Member

Really? That's great news! The way i'm going about trying to produce is really trying to learn massive to the point where I can start creating the sounds I want
    while studying a bit of music theory on the side. Then I worry about song structure, drums, compression, mastering etc you know?

5. underspawn

underspawn Headz Roll

You should look intro drums too imo. Even if ur tune has the best bass in the world noone will like it if the drums sound wack

6. GoatSnake

GoatSnake New Member

Right, drums are a very very important aspect of DRUM and bass xD. Now, the way I do my breaks atm is like, I chop up a cool break i find and layer some one

shots over it for fat bass snare. Is chopping breaks considered like "cheap"? Or could i produce professionally just by chopping ish up? <3

7. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

do whatever sounds best

8. GoatSnake

GoatSnake New Member

Fair enough Fair enough. How long did it take some of you guys to get to
    the level you are at now?

9. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

I don't think you can put a timeline on it. It's all about dedicating some time everyday, even if it's just an hour or so, to messing around. Whether it's working on a track, getting to know a synth better or wrapping your head around concepts like synthesis or chords/scales.

My best advice would be to:
    • Learn the essentials of your DAW inside & out.
    • Search the dnbforum.com for tutorials and tips.
    • Listen to the tracks the members have created and then post questions asking how they created certain sounds (bass, lead, pad, etc.). Then take the advice they gave you and try it out while it's still fresh in your head.
    • Check out some of the Masterclass videos via youtube. There is quite a bit to be learned from them.
    • Learn your DAW's EQ. It is the most important tool to master IMO.
    • Take serious notes like you were studying for a college exam and then refer to these notes often.
    • Practice. Practice. Practice. And then practice some more.
    • Produce music with the mindset they you can never stop learning.
    • Test your track(s) or riffs on different sound systems (home stereo, car stereo, etc.)
    • Test your song against a professional DnB tune to try to figure out what they're doing that you are not.
    • Eat a very large piece of humble pie. As long as you stay humble with regards to your current "level" of knowledge, others will be more incline to help you out and answer questions. When someone comes talking/posting like they're Andy C. (whether it's shilling their own tunes, arguing over a review someone gave them, or leaving harsh feedback for another) and then their tunes sound like shit, it's hard to take them seriously. At least for me it is.

Cheers.

10. GoatSnake

GoatSnake New Member

This is great advice, got any links to some good tutorials that have helped you out significantly?
    Or like something you wish you knew when you were first starting out specifically?
    Any pitfalls that I can dodge?

Either way thanks a bunch for taking the time to reply to a new dude in the scene. :kermit::kermit::kermit::kermit::kermit::kermit:

11. Prideinyouride

Prideinyouride Member

YouTube: Icicle masterclass. I've watched this a number of times and every time I do it makes more sense and I pick up more from it. I'm new to all this and know how you feel, the greatest thing to keep in mind is "if you don't understand something then you don't need to" the most unproductive and destructive thing to do is get frustrated. Have fun!