help! i hate windows 7

Discussion in 'Production' started by Indigo, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Indigo

Indigo Member

okay so ive just upgraded to windows seven and ive installed my ableton and my soundcard drivers

the soundcard im using is a maudio delta 1010tl
    ive installed asio drivers and using this config

[​IMG]

when i was xp , it took alot to bring my cpu up high and making the sound crackle , tbh i dont really understand how i should have my settings on my pc or what drivers to use , but in the passed what ive been doing has worked a charm.

this is really getting on my nervs and i wish i could make some sounds

here are my system specs if it helps

-2gb ram
    -AMD dual core 6000+ 3ghz
    -mAudio delta 1010tl
    -ati 3870

btw the cpu is that high when i have one midi channel and one sound playing!
    please help

2. Neomind

Neomind Too many skulls!">:O

go to your audio card settings and get the Buffer size to 1024, it will take the latency a bit higher, and crackles will go off

3. Indigo

Indigo Member

its at 2048 at the minute

4. Neomind

Neomind Too many skulls!">:O

Try playing with the sample rate and buffer size
    and perhaps you should be using your audio interfaze drivers, not the asio ...

5. Indigo

Indigo Member

ive tried with the buffer size , no help
    the other driver says m audo delta asio driver

i would really appriciate more feedback guys

6. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

so use it....
    asio4all was designed to work with on board audio. you wanna be using the delta's driver

7. glennyb

glennyb Member

yeah was gonna say why are you using asio4all if you have a proper soundcard? asio4all runs really badly, m-audio asio is actually designed for use with your sound card

8. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

shit you got 2gb ram? i got 128 mb i think. doesnt cause me any trouble, guess when theres so little of it it cant really make a big deal out of any stupid shit itll be over ruled by the dominant other fucking whats it called an that. computers eh

9. Mango-

Mango- Mercury Eater

Downgrade to XP.
    I have very similar specs to your pc

Not a single problem with old faithful XP
    :)

10. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

This! You are bypassing your soundcard by using the ASIO4ALL driver.

11. Indigo

Indigo Member

i am using the m audio delta driver , everything looks good but the cpu of my machine is stupidly high and its crackles...
    [​IMG]

the scary thing is , whats the point on me splashing 150 pounds on a interface when the onboard sound drivers are just as good with the asio on seven , i really want to use 7 and my card.

windows xp is an option but i was having alot of trouble with the drivers on that too , i could run ableton but not use the card as a primary soundcard for my computer so there was alot of swaping of phono cables ectect.

do you think my machine is now old and needs an upgrade , 60% cpu is very high for just one note on a present.

12. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

get a mac :/

13. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

but chekc the two pictures you posted. with asio4all you're overshooting the cpu's ability, whereas with the maudio driver you're at 63%, which i think its pretty decent considering that you're running at 512 samples latency. try doubling that and see if it makes things better. also, consider checking some guides for tweaking windows 7 for audio production and act accordingly.
    http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/...hood-guide-for-music-can-you-finally-dump-xp/

(y)

14. Indigo

Indigo Member

alright well ive had a mess , ive put the buffer size to 2048 , the cpu is now at 5% if i use 2 drum racks and 2 samplers , i add a vst it goes to 40 % , if i play the vst it goes to 65%
    when my cpu is at 5% ableton LAGGS like a bitch on crack seriously , i ctrl alt del to see the task manager and my theme has changed to some crappy looking one , compatibility mode maybe?

first of all im going to read the guides (thanks gordo)
    im going to install a few more DAWS and see if they are having problems then im going to reinstall ableton to see if that can fix it.
    maybe i installed ableton before the drivers and that makes some kind of error , i dont know but worth a shot.

i really cant be arsed to installed xp and Russla i would like a mac but i have no monies , maybe ill buy one with my uni grant :D

15. kama

kama benkama.net

Having separate OS's for music and all else is good way to keep your windows clean as well. You can strip the music OS of everything that will slow it down or distract you. Don't even set up an internet connection on it, so you don't need a firewall or be distracted by internet forums. It really helps to boot yourself into the production mindset as well as computer performance.

16. Indigo

Indigo Member

thats a good idea actually kama , i think i will start on it tomorrow , you can always delete partitions too which is great!

17. kama

kama benkama.net

I dont have a setup like that right now unfortunately. I've had a dualboot system in teh past tho and it was very smooth. The "production windows" stayed very neat, it booted fast as lightning from the lack of virus scanners, bulky graphics driver software, autoupdate agents etc. I even toned down some of windows' own services that I didn't need. Unfortunately it all came crashing down due to a virus from warezed software - just a word of warning.

Am planning on going the same route in the future. Just gonna have to get around to buying an another hard drive to use as a dedicated production storage.