Help! Clicks & Pops in FL Studio

neddez

VIP Junglist
Hey all,

I'm making this track and theres this section where clicks & pops are quite apparent.

They are happening on the kick drum: (I commented on the worst offender)

It's not the sample, I think it's because of the sudden noise coming in (the type of click/pop usually fixed by lengthening attack/release).

The only solution I can think of (instead of messing up the vol of the drums) would be to layer more sounds over it so it's not such a steep jump in volume.

Can ya'll help? :)

Last edited:
Have you used compression anywhere?
Aside from that and making sure stuff is EQed, I'm not too sure..

Nope no compression.

EQing out the offending frequencies on the master doesn't seem to affect the pops either :(

Have you tried a different kick sample in the arrangement? If there is no click with a different kick sample, we can assume that the clicking was caused by a poor source sample. However, if the clicking persists we can then troubleshoot different avenues.

Also, never place an EQ on your master out. Rather, try to find the instrument/sound that is causing the offending frequency and EQ it at the source of the problem. By attempting to rectify the problem with an EQ on the master out, your taking away from the overall dynamic range of the track's frequencies.

Cheers.

Yeah try and sweep through the frequencies of the different elements with your EQ and pinpoint where it's coming from.

Have you tried a different kick sample in the arrangement? If there is no click with a different kick sample, we can assume that the clicking was caused by a poor source sample. However, if the clicking persists we can then troubleshoot different avenues.

Tried that. And even then, I can mute the drums and I'll STILL get clicking in some places from the melody.

Also, never place an EQ on your master out. Rather, try to find the instrument/sound that is causing the offending frequency and EQ it at the source of the problem. By attempting to rectify the problem with an EQ on the master out, your taking away from the overall dynamic range of the track's frequencies.

You're right. It was really to test my theory of a sharp attack causing it.

Yeah try and sweep through the frequencies of the different elements with your EQ and pinpoint where it's coming from.

Tried that. I can essentially lowpass the whole track @ ~500hz and it'll click/pop EXACTLY the same :(. This is why I think it is a result of a sonic jump in volume.

Has it always been like this? I used FL Studio back when I was first getting into production. I would suffer the same problem and I traced the problem down to it either being cracked or the computer simply not having the power available to run the program. Just an idea if nothing is working to remove them.

Maxing out memory and or cpu will introduce clicks and pops. I have a couple of plugins also that aren't particularly stable (crysonic) and can hog all the cpu and create noisy pops.

Last edited:
Has it always been like this?

No, this is the first time I've come across pops of this nature.

Maxing out memory and or cpu will introduce clicks and pops. I have a couple of plugins also that aren't particularly stable (crysonic) and can hog all the cpu and create noisy pops.

Yeah... what is the CPU meter looking like when it's playing back?

It's in the 60s but everything seems to be running smooth. The only VST running is Massive (never has problems). If it was a buffer problem then surely a bounced mp3 would sound fine?

I've tweaked/looked at the elements and now NOTHING is popping on it's own, but when I combine the melody with the drums, it systematically pops/clicks with some of the kick drums.

Thanks a lot to everyone whos helped so far, I really appreciate this. <3 <3

Try bouncing the drums and whatever other tracks you want out so each group has its own single audio file.
Then load them back into a new FL project. See if it happens there.

Yep it's happening in the new project. Looks like its a freq clash between the kick drum and the melody stabs - because if I move the stabs off of the kick drum, no pops.

So I guess that's the answer really. Thanks a bunch for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom