Help beginning production

Scatcat

It don't mean shit
VIP Junglist
Hey guys, I really want to start making my own tracks but I'm finding it really difficult. Obviously I realise I'm not going to sit down at a computer and 10 mins later have the best song in the world, but I could really use some tips for starting out making music. Like what is really the best software, I know there aree probably many, but which one is simplest to use, yet still good. I have Logic, but I don't know how to create what I can think!
Also are there any websites that give step-by-step guides in making percussion, or using VST's?
Cheers

Scatcat

youtube has many a useful tutorial, almost on any program you can think of. I'd start by hoarding a good collection of high quality samples either off the net or by buying sample packs (which is much more efficient btw).

Then get the basics of how to lay down a simple dnb beat, try some bass samples over that and and you'll laugh all the way to the bank.

Youtube tutorials. Experiment (which requires a buttload of time,) and above all don't expect your first tunes to be mildly tolerable.
Someone once said when you're picking up the basics, for each tune sit down and focus on one or two aspects, for example "I'm going to get the mixdown perfect" or "in this one, the bassline will be fiiiiiiiiiine."

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

And if you need help, ask for it. Its extremely rare that someone will go "ROFL U NOOB, U DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT" etc. Infact, I don't think I've ever seen that happen o_O

Also, dont worry about all the technical aspects at first. Just concentrate on creativity, that's what it's all about. Then if you have a technical problem, you can learn how to overcome that problem and BAM, you know one thing more that you can use in the future.

i would add that it took me a long time before i had a 'finished' track... one that was at least three minutes and had distinguishable sections and transitions between them. i spent a lot of time just experimenting with sound and had hundreds of 30 sec - 1 minute ideas. just have fun and mess about, learn your tools and enjoy it. then when u have built up an arsenal of techniques u can apply them in ur future projects

edit - not saying that my definition of finished is correct, and i have never properly finished a track, but that was a good milestone to work towards for me.

Last edited:
i started off with making full tracks right away... never done a "just 1 minute clip" so i've never had any problems with that. Of course i've been producing on a little while but still i suggest you do the same. No harm done in practicing making whole tracks right?

cheers for all the tips guys. I got on youtube last night and watched a few videos learnt a load of shit and actually managed to make a drum beat that didn't sound awful! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom