Help - Audacity Problems...

Resist

I bought a Behringer audio interface to connect my mixer to my laptop to record my mixes.

Anyway, I've connected it all up properly and I can record properly aswell, but whenever I record anything, the sound coming through my speakers while I record is fine, then when I stop recording and play the track on Audacity, the sound quality is awful.

The problem goes away when I turn the volume down on my mixer, but then I can't hear anything, so I tried turning down the input level on the toolbar at the top, and that still didn't work.

I'm pretty sure I've set everything on audacity properly, on the preferences I've set the recording and playback options as the USB device, and I haven't fiddled with any of the other preferences.

The only way I know how to get proper sound quality is by turning my mixer volume down to about 20%.

Anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

what does the wav file look like in audacity is it clipping ? ie filling the graphic display ?

Maybe try turning down input level in the 'control panel' or mixer in the operating system rather than in Audacity ?

Last edited:
Are you taking your record signal straight from the mixers master out? or are you running through a record or booth output?

One simple thing to try is if you turn all volumes right down on the mixer... gains and output volumes then slowly turn them all up one by one to find the best running level

I've tried turning down the input on audacity, and it still doesn't work, and I can't turn down the input on the computer because its the USB I'm using.

When I'm recording, instead of the wav graphic looking like a wavy line, it just looks like a blue bar.

still dunno whats going on

I found that Audacity input control kept resetting to 100% and i found same as you that the input level is too high so its clipping.

In windows XP you would go to Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, volume tab, Advanced, Options, Choose Device then tick the relevant input, Press ok, then reduce that channel down to 1 or 2 (ie near the bottom) then close all the windows you opened.

Alternatively the software bundle with your USB device may include a basic mixer where you can do the same sort of thing.

My speakers are connected to my mixer via phono leads, which is connected to my interface, which is then connected to my laptop. I can turn up my stereo to make the speakers louder, and obviously that makes it a lot easier to mix when I'm recording, but they're still really quiet compared to what they should be, and they've got a severe lack of bass aswell. Its ok at the moment though, at least I can record properly now!

Back
Top Bottom