Help/Advice needed on a track!

jack2290

I've only been producing for about 8 months or so and it's been a slack 8 months i'm ashamed to say! I'm not worried about the creative side at this early stage just want my music sounding consistant when played on all sound devices.

This is a track i'm working on at the moment, nothing serious just a very average house track but i'm using it as a guinea pig as i slowly pick things up.

When i play this tune through my headphones or monitors it sounds how i want it, fairly clear and pumping no distortion etc. Issue is when playing the track out of a docking station via my phone or in a car stereo etc, it sounds absolutely terrible, everything distorts and the bass has no presence. I'm sure there probably is no straightforward solution to this, but any advice would be hugely appreciated!!

Hey there,
This could be a multitudde of reasons and i could waffle on for days about this stuff but,but have a look at these:
First I would grab a reference tune a professional one of similar style. Listen to it on all devices and write down how the elements sound on each device.Compare these notes to your track . Make adjustments and reassess.

This may be ovious but worth a check. (makes sure all settings on devices are relativly flat and normal) for example the bass isnt turned down and treble turned up in car system)

Bass and frequency responses over the spectrum certain devices can differ significantly (especially subbass) so after checking step above you may find that the tune mixdown is actually ok.It could be phase cancellation once played in mono. (have a read on net about this).

Also you should be able to play it at same volume as professional track through similar devices, and levels sound the same.
Most of the time you need to add some higher frequency bass sound in addition to the bassline to make it heard on poor low end systems.
see how you go with that, if u still got issues. I'll check on my devices and let u know.

Try monoing everything below say 100hz for a start (im not sure if i hear any bass in stereo, but its worth a try)

Hey there,
This could be a multitudde of reasons and i could waffle on for days about this stuff but,but have a look at these:
First I would grab a reference tune a professional one of similar style. Listen to it on all devices and write down how the elements sound on each device.Compare these notes to your track . Make adjustments and reassess.

This may be ovious but worth a check. (makes sure all settings on devices are relativly flat and normal) for example the bass isnt turned down and treble turned up in car system)

Bass and frequency responses over the spectrum certain devices can differ significantly (especially subbass) so after checking step above you may find that the tune mixdown is actually ok.It could be phase cancellation once played in mono. (have a read on net about this).

Also you should be able to play it at same volume as professional track through similar devices, and levels sound the same.
Most of the time you need to add some higher frequency bass sound in addition to the bassline to make it heard on poor low end systems.
see how you go with that, if u still got issues. I'll check on my devices and let u know.

Try monoing everything below say 100hz for a start (im not sure if i hear any bass in stereo, but its worth a try)

Thanks for the help, it probably is down to mono. Being the noob i am i left all tracks on the default stereo output, still getting to grips with figuring out how the whole stereo/mono thing works. I've read a lot on the net etc that your track has to be mono compatibile as that's how it would be played on the radio for example. Not quite understanding which tracks should be put in mono and which in stereo.

I'l do some reading on it, but yeah @ LJYAP if i'm still struggling il make that track downloadable. Would really appreciate help with it!

Back
Top Bottom