Help! A question for the production massive...

chris getme

Dub Logic
Right so iv got a tune where I have copied the kick drum part and put it onto another track aswell to beef it up. Iv only just noticed that its phasing because of this (I think thats the right word ie when youv got the same part being played identically on different tracks by the same sound making it sound like its got chorus on it????)

The kick sounds fine on its own, but sounds week in the context of the tune without the double tracking, but the phasing is really annoying. Does anyone know a way around this phasing sound??

adjust the pitch by however many cents you want on one of the kicks bro, or play the second kick on a different note (y)

If they are not playing perfectly at the same time, they really do sound chorusey. That's the thing that is actually making it big, because it's sort of played twice. Then again, if they are timed exactly right, it's just the same as boosting the volume.

"Then again, if they are timed exactly right, it's just the same as boosting the volume. "

This is absolutely correct.

You can try a few things.
1.Make sure the start of "both" kicks start with the waveform going up! (this means going up on the x -axis.)
2. Also try an eq cut on one or both of them.
You should be thinking like:
a) I like the lower end in this kick. So i'll Low pass that and...
b)I like the high end thump of the other so i'll High Pass that.
Then,
Buss them together.
compress a little bit and eq again if needed.
Then a little bit of limiting and all is good.:)
3. Find another sample. Some things are not meant to be!
4. Use a phase alignment tool like IBP or voxengo pha.
5. Re-Pitch. Sometimes works.
6. You could try using envelopes as well. Sometimes works.

One of these techniques is going to work.
Have a play around with them.
Most importantly have fun!
Learning is meant to be fun!

ez

DjDauntless

If they are not playing perfectly at the same time, they really do sound chorusey. That's the thing that is actually making it big, because it's sort of played twice. Then again, if they are timed exactly right, it's just the same as boosting the volume.

They are the exact same kick sound, and they are at the exact same time as I copy and dragged the part onto another track with same settings on ultrabeat with same kick sample and same effect settings. This is why Im confused because I thought that unless they were slightly out you wouldnt get that chorusy effect, but the two parts are exactly the same and its still there.

I'd just change the copied one to another sample altogether.

VST's usually introduce some latency to the signal, even with the same settings, having 2 instances might make different latencies (just a few milliseconds worth). Most modern sequencers are built to compensate for that latency however. What program are you using?

If you are EQing them separately you could try a linear phase EQ, plus if there is lots of processing on one (filter, comp, etc.) and very little on the other it can shift the sound by a couple of milliseconds. Try bouncing them both and see if it helps, if this fails you could try changing the harmonic content of one of them using distortion or some other more subtle effect.

Also if you are just looking to retain the initial punch of the layered kicks then you could try parallel compression which should pull back any phasing after the initial attack.

I find that my kicks usually get lost when the bass (be it the subs, or a massive line) overwhelm the low ends of the spectrum. To counter this I (along with a lot of bass heads) jack up the mids and highs in the kick. This allows it to resonate through the lows and sounds crisp and banging, as a kick oughtta.
Peace and luck to ya.

Back
Top Bottom