help a noob . . . . .

pottsy22

I have been mixing for 5 years now and listening to and loving DnB for a lot longer!
Finally decided to dabble in production . . . . jeez its hard!!
I have a copy of logic express 8 and im struggling. Watched various tutorials and such, not really getting anywhere. Just wondering how you lot all got going . . . tuition, or just patience and self teaching?
Any tips on how to get to grips with the basics quicker?

Any suggestions appreciated, Cheers!

Watch videos on youtube, read lots of stuff on the internet, buy magazine specials on your specific DAW (computer music magazine for example).

Oh and of course PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Thats it really mate.

If your really really really interested in doing it.... you will..........

Youll have great days and really shit days but its all worth it.....

as rippa says, praaaactise!

I think if you're gonna get into production then you need to do a few things:

1. Decide whether this is something you really want to do. Learning how to do this takes up a LOT of your time. (and i mean a LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT of your time) You can really start to lose yourself in a production and spend hours on it when you only intended on spending 5 minutes. If your a busy person then i wouldnt reccomend it lol.

2. Take time to learn the program that you are using. If you know the ins and outs of the program then you will be able to acheive lots more.

3. Spend lots of time learning the science behind sound and sound creation. Learn about EQing and compression. Learn all the terminology behind things. Learn what each filter does and how. The sooner you know this the sooner you can start creating filth! (or flower as the case may be :D) I think a lot of people just jump in, without learning about this stuff until eventually they realise that they need to learn a shit load more stuff before they can accomplish what they set out to do. So do your self a fabour and learn it all earlier rather than later.

4. GOOD QUALITY SAMPLES!! Get as many good quality samples as you can. As its been said time and time again, YOU CANNOT POLISH A TURD! Admittedly you can roll it in glitter but thats not the point...

5. Dont get angry. I used to get really angry when my tunes didnt sound very good when i first started. it was kinda like i expected to be as good as noisia straight away - its just never gonna happen!

aaaanyway... hope that helps :D

Keep at it!

as rippa says, praaaactise!

I think if you're gonna get into production then you need to do a few things:

1. Decide whether this is something you really want to do. Learning how to do this takes up a LOT of your time. (and i mean a LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT of your time) You can really start to lose yourself in a production and spend hours on it when you only intended on spending 5 minutes. If your a busy person then i wouldnt reccomend it lol.

2. Take time to learn the program that you are using. If you know the ins and outs of the program then you will be able to acheive lots more.

3. Spend lots of time learning the science behind sound and sound creation. Learn about EQing and compression. Learn all the terminology behind things. Learn what each filter does and how. The sooner you know this the sooner you can start creating filth! (or flower as the case may be :D) I think a lot of people just jump in, without learning about this stuff until eventually they realise that they need to learn a shit load more stuff before they can accomplish what they set out to do. So do your self a fabour and learn it all earlier rather than later.

4. GOOD QUALITY SAMPLES!! Get as many good quality samples as you can. As its been said time and time again, YOU CANNOT POLISH A TURD! Admittedly you can roll it in glitter but thats not the point...

5. Dont get angry. I used to get really angry when my tunes didnt sound very good when i first started. it was kinda like i expected to be as good as noisia straight away - its just never gonna happen!

aaaanyway... hope that helps :D

Keep at it!

Pretty much everything this :]

Also, Lol, That 5 min. thing happens a lot to me. (because of this, I sometimes just skip school hours without noticing and be like: "FUCK O HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL. "
I also just jumped in, and realised after a little time that i had a shit load more to learn :3
And also, I got (and sometimes, still get) angry when tunes arrnt going well. Trying to get rid of this problem now lol.

So yeah, please follow that advice, so you wont be wasting time, or get angry when it issnt needed too etc. :3 It will make things a bit easier i think.

Remember that many of the best producers in the scene began to get into production before the age of 20

Therefore if they're 25 now, they've been producing for at least 5 years, so don't be disheartened if you've been producing for 6 / 12 months and you're tunes don't sound as good as theirs ...

Just stick at it, it's all about learning and progression ... as long as you're always progressing you will always be getting better and heading in the right direction ... and you can't ask for more than that really ...

agreed with all of the above. time and commitment are the two biggest factors. you're gonna suck, and you're gonna suck for a while. i suck. lots of folks on this forum suck. prepare for that and you won't be discouraged. this is a good place to be, because you can set realistic goals: go to the track review section and pick the worst track on the first page - now go try to be better than that guy. next up? the guy who has the next worst track. all the way up to sub focus!

VERY VERY TRUE....

Shit i started last year at 26 !!!!!! So im a fuckin' old man already.......

Plus i've noticed that alot of well know producers (im not sayin everyone) have had some sort of a musical backgroung training ie: degree's etc...

Cant really think of any examples except Nu: Tone who studied classical piano at the age of 8 & music at Durham University.

So for us boys its gonna be especially hard, but you have just gotta stick at it...

Just like DJ Nifty is sayin.. if you notice your tracks are progressing, you heading in the right direction...

im old too, i started at the end of the last century. to my defense id like to say i make music for reasons entirely of my own. and that im thick as a plank.
anyway thats all there is to it really, practice and keeping the spirit up. and studying, reading is good, but second to listening to the music youd like to make.
which is why djs get into production quicker than other people i think.

agreed with all of the above. time and commitment are the two biggest factors. you're gonna suck, and you're gonna suck for a while. i suck. lots of folks on this forum suck. prepare for that and you won't be discouraged. this is a good place to be, because you can set realistic goals: go to the track review section and pick the worst track on the first page - now go try to be better than that guy. next up? the guy who has the next worst track. all the way up to sub focus!

Yep, this is good advice! It takes time to become good. Like most other things in life.
A good tip that will speed up your production skills is try to get befriend some mentors. If you can get some talented people to help you out your half way there. :)
Keep gaining knowledge and never quit no matter how much the last studio session sucked.
Believe in yourself and your talent.
Peace
d

precisely, i made tunes for a year or so before even discovering online music and communities. i was still shit but it helped alot just not being 100% noob. ill upload a mod if you want

Yep, this is good advice! It takes time to become good. Like most other things in life.
A good tip that will speed up your production skills is try to get befriend some mentors. If you can get some talented people to help you out your half way there. :)
Keep gaining knowledge and never quit no matter how much the last studio session sucked.
Believe in yourself and your talent.
Peace
d

Trial and Error :3

Well I've been at it seriously now for about 8-10 month's. And I still consider myself shit. But I cant begin to explain how much more I have learnt since being a part of this community right here. Seriously, this is a good place to stick around, lots of folk willing to help out and answer questions, no matter how noob you think the question may be

Well I've been at it seriously now for about 8-10 month's. And I still consider myself shit. But I cant begin to explain how much more I have learnt since being a part of this community right here. Seriously, this is a good place to stick around, lots of folk willing to help out and answer questions, no matter how noob you think the question may be

THISSS!

Yeah, I agree on this, This porbably is the friendliest cominuty i know :3

Lots of patience, self teaching, asking a million questions and hours and hours and hours of a lot of youtube and other tutorial videos

Just don't give up

Back
Top Bottom