Hello! Signed up looking to connect with producers and talk Bassline arrangements !

THuuN

Hello DnBForum

Quick intro, I'm THuuN a hard working DJ and Producer in Toronto, Canada.
Part of the Sonorous Crew pushing the neurofunk sound in our city, in the past year bringing the likes Jade, Audio, Black Sun Empire and in July, Optiv to the city.

So Ive been producing just over 2 years now, busting my balls over knowledge and advancement. Its hard in our city though because unlike the UK [so it seems ;p], we dont have a monster producer on every block !

So yeah I have been really digging the Neuro sound, reppin tunes from Landscapers, Hedj, curfew, Engage, NeonLight, Imprintz & Kloe, Xilent, and (obviously) Spor & Noisia , Labels like Mindtech, Ammo, Lifted, Eat Brain
[All this just to name a few, give you cats an idea]

So yea heres why Im reaching out. Basslines. Not the sub, thats just a sub whatever. Im talking the GROWLS. Neurofunk is full of them, I cant get enough of them but damn its hard wrapping your head around them !

Making the noises is one thing, but theres a hundred videos out there showing you how to make this sound or that synth. The hard part is ARRANGING THEM !

Its seeming that the noises are not being processed right out of the synth. Everything sounds very cut and paste to my ears, yet the samples arrange so perfectly. Its tricky !! I often have problems where I print WAVs then arrange a bassline only to hear the noises sound too different, or don't pitch right etc.

-Im looking for WORKFLOW improvement also-

If I can get any pointers on how to arrange basslines in a timely matter, I would appreciate it beyond anything. It seems like Xilent is coming out with more tunes than I can keep up with, yet the basslines are so technical Im left thinking how in the **** hes actually making the tunes !!

Anyways one love chat soon

Re: Hello! Signed up looking to connect with producers and talk Bassline arrangements

Welcome to the forum fella.

I've been producing for around three years myself, and that is one subject that I too struggle with! I can write monster dubstep wobbles, nice mellow liquid drum and bass, jump up etc, but the neuro aspect of it still eludes me! I (aswell as alot of others) have asked the sme question repeatedly, but it seems like it a well kept secret. The people that do know how to create them kinda dont spill too much info on it I'm afraid!

Re: Hello! Signed up looking to connect with producers and talk Bassline arrangements

I try to make neuro, ill be happy to help out with anything, check my tunes and ill point ya in the right direction if its what your going for?

Firstly good music tatse fella and welcome to the fourm.

Personally i build basslines in tiny little bits. I open up albeton and just fuck about in synths resampling them into audio and listening to a shit ton of sampels. I then start chopping them up and grabbing little bits here and there that i think could be usefull. Its sometimes handy to kinda have a general growl going on then build off that, having lots of mini drops thourgh out the tune to try and keep it rolling. I normally mess about for a whole day doing this making alot of different saves (cos the final version may actully sound shit when you go back the next day) and taking alot of breaks.

I then go back the next day and go though about 40% of the saves seeing what i like and dont like. Once i have some thing i like, then comes the part of gelling them together into one sound, I generaly do this last and try and get the bits of audio sitting nicely without much processing, otherwise its sounds forced! Send them all to a bus and apply abit of overdrive/disortation/compresson/whatever. Then hopefully you have something alright, if not have a good old swear, delete it and start again :)

I often have problems where I print WAVs then arrange a bassline only to hear the noises sound too different, or don't pitch right etc.

Are you using EQ much? A smart, quick EQ pass might be the critical step in balancing the sounds. Also look at those second and third fundamentals and probably gut them out of the bassline if they're troublesome.

-Im looking for WORKFLOW improvement also-

Be decisive and move quickly; that seems to be common with most of the producers I have worked with. Getting that balance right between experimenting/testing and deciding to be content.

If I have ever maid anything that sounds right it is because of luck and nothing eles. The great thing is if you post your music here people will sometimes tell you what they don't like or do like and can give you a recommendation on how to fix it or make it better.

Back
Top Bottom