Hello, DnBForum crew!

Benyon

Hi, I'm new. I've been lurking here for a little while, so I thought I'd better make myself an account. Don't know what to say really, I came here to chat about DnB, music in general or just anything really. (I was born and raised on Thrash/Death Metal, Punk and Grindcore, so I guess I could chat about those quite a bit...) Hoping to meet some nice, filth loving people. I'm itching to start producing/mixing, but I have no equipment at the moment, which sucks balls. Any advice on starting out would be brilliant, thanks.

AHH JUNGLIST!

Thanks! :D
As fun as that sounds, I think I'd rather start with production. I have a basic idea of what I'm going to need, but I'm not sure of what's essential and what can wait. I also have no idea what order to buy the equipment in or how much everything's going to cost me in total, but I don't think it's going to be pretty! I guess it's time to look at some of these noob guides...

Tbf producing is all about preference, going through programs, picking which ones you prefer, like im not a brilliant producer but i prefer FL Studio and my partner in crime uses Logic Pro which i cant get on with. And regardless of what people say you dont need a Mac to make decent music, most of my tunes were made on FL Studio and a phone app! Best advice i can give ya, pick a piece of production software you like, develop your own sound and definitely learn to mix! like he said, second hand technics if ur finking of spinning vinyl, i own two 1210 mk2's and i absolutely love em!

Thanks! :D
As fun as that sounds, I think I'd rather start with production. I have a basic idea of what I'm going to need, but I'm not sure of what's essential and what can wait. I also have no idea what order to buy the equipment in or how much everything's going to cost me in total, but I don't think it's going to be pretty! I guess it's time to look at some of these noob guides...

Hey man! How're you doing? I'm a headbanger as well!

You're asking what is essential to start producing.

First of all, you need a DAW, which will be your main tool of work. Some of us use FL Studio (myself included), some use Ableton Live, some use Reason, some use Cubase. My advice is: keep distance from the DAW wars. People WILL tell you a DAW is better than the other. It's bullshit. All DAWs can do the same things. So, any paid DAW has a "free to test" version, which normally span through 30 days of use. I advice you to download some of them, and see what gives you the best learning curve. I stick with FL Studio, because my workflow is better. I tried Ableton and Reason, but I couldn't get the hang of them.

Second: you'll need a good computer to handle music production. I use a good gaming laptop for my productions (it's not high end). Most DAWs run well on nowadays standard computers.

Third: you'll need some good headphones or monitors. Those with a flat response (all frequencies are presented without boosting). I use a good Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro, as I live on an apartment building, and I can't afford to pest my neighbors. If you want some good headphones, search beyerdynamic, AKG, Sehnheiser and see what one suit your needs/budget.

Fourth: You'll need to practice to exhaustion! There are plenty of tutorials on youtube, made for most of the DAWs out there. Keep in mind that most of things that are presented on songs we like are not that complicated to replicate. There are things as simple as turning one simple knob, and there are things that are more complicated, as a resampling process of a bass. In time, and with perseverance you'll eventually learn.

Fifth: everyone is going to tell you: "Get Massive!", "Noisia makes their basses on FM8, you should get it!", "Go for Sylenth1!". Those are, indeed, top knotch synths (along with many other), and being so, they are paid. This comes to preference, but IMO you should learn how the stock synths work (every DAW comes bundled with some), and when you learned how they work, you decide if you'll stick with them, or buy those "better" synths.

and finally, Sixth: people tend to tell begginers to buy a midi controller. This, too, is a individual preference. I don't have a proper training on music theory, so I just stick with my Fl Studio piano roll.

I hope I helped.

Hey man! How're you doing? I'm a headbanger as well!

You're asking what is essential to start producing.

First of all, you need a DAW, which will be your main tool of work. Some of us use FL Studio (myself included), some use Ableton Live, some use Reason, some use Cubase. My advice is: keep distance from the DAW wars. People WILL tell you a DAW is better than the other. It's bullshit. All DAWs can do the same things. So, any paid DAW has a "free to test" version, which normally span through 30 days of use. I advice you to download some of them, and see what gives you the best learning curve. I stick with FL Studio, because my workflow is better. I tried Ableton and Reason, but I couldn't get the hang of them.

Second: you'll need a good computer to handle music production. I use a good gaming laptop for my productions (it's not high end). Most DAWs run well on nowadays standard computers.

Third: you'll need some good headphones or monitors. Those with a flat response (all frequencies are presented without boosting). I use a good Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro, as I live on an apartment building, and I can't afford to pest my neighbors. If you want some good headphones, search beyerdynamic, AKG, Sehnheiser and see what one suit your needs/budget.

Fourth: You'll need to practice to exhaustion! There are plenty of tutorials on youtube, made for most of the DAWs out there. Keep in mind that most of things that are presented on songs we like are not that complicated to replicate. There are things as simple as turning one simple knob, and there are things that are more complicated, as a resampling process of a bass. In time, and with perseverance you'll eventually learn.

Fifth: everyone is going to tell you: "Get Massive!", "Noisia makes their basses on FM8, you should get it!", "Go for Sylenth1!". Those are, indeed, top knotch synths (along with many other), and being so, they are paid. This comes to preference, but IMO you should learn how the stock synths work (every DAW comes bundled with some), and when you learned how they work, you decide if you'll stick with them, or buy those "better" synths.

and finally, Sixth: people tend to tell begginers to buy a midi controller. This, too, is a individual preference. I don't have a proper training on music theory, so I just stick with my Fl Studio piano roll.

I hope I helped.

Thanks for that, helped a lot man. The only issue now is the price! How much do you reckon all of this equipment and software's going to cost me all together? (Rough estimate?) I do have mates who are producers and DJ's, and one works in a studio, so I could probably blag a bit of free shit and some DAW pointers, but I have a shit job, so it may take me a while to be able to afford all of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Tbf producing is all about preference, going through programs, picking which ones you prefer, like im not a brilliant producer but i prefer FL Studio and my partner in crime uses Logic Pro which i cant get on with. And regardless of what people say you dont need a Mac to make decent music, most of my tunes were made on FL Studio and a phone app! Best advice i can give ya, pick a piece of production software you like, develop your own sound and definitely learn to mix! like he said, second hand technics if ur finking of spinning vinyl, i own two 1210 mk2's and i absolutely love em!

Thanks for the pointers mate. I've messed around with FL before, and I seemed to get the hang of it pretty quickly, I'm going to experiment though. Definitely going to learn to mix, just need to find some technics and grab some vinyls!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not quite sure how to reply to this... I feel sick. :twitchy:

Last edited by a moderator:
lol not gonna do the whole 'vinyl is better than digital' arguement but learning how to beatmatch and gettin hands on with vinyl is a very rewarding time, enjoy your adventures mixing and producing and hey ya never know, give it a year n u may be the next Audio or Maztek! :)

lol not gonna do the whole 'vinyl is better than digital' arguement but learning how to beatmatch and gettin hands on with vinyl is a very rewarding time, enjoy your adventures mixing and producing and hey ya never know, give it a year n u may be the next Audio or Maztek! :)
I've had a go with digital and it was fun, but I do think vinyl is way cooler tbh, definitely using it. I will, and thanks! Just need to save up and get buying now...

Thanks for that, helped a lot man. The only issue now is the price! How much do you reckon all of this equipment and software's going to cost me all together? (Rough estimate?) I do have mates who are producers and DJ's, and one works in a studio, so I could probably blag a bit of free shit and some DAW pointers, but I have a shit job, so it may take me a while to be able to afford all of this.

On a quick search, I got:

DAWs

FL Studio 11 Producer Edition - US$ 199,00
Ableton Live 9 Standard - US$ 359,00
Propellerhead's Reason 7 - US$ 399,00

Synths:

Native Instruments Massive (one of most used synths out there): US$199,00
Native Instruments FM8: US$ 199,00
LennarDigital Sylenth1: Euro 139,00

Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro: US$ 209,99 on Amazon

So, you can see you'll have to invest some good money just to get started. But, as I said, don't buy everything people say to you that's good. Learn everything with what you already have, and buy only what you'll use.

Back
Top Bottom