Hello DnB Forum

nytejade

omfgUSdnbDJ??
Hello there. I'm a casual, but serious, drum and bass DJ from the United States. I'm just looking for some people to chat with about dnb/mixing/turntablism.

I've been spinning for close to 4 years now off and on. I'm really starting to get back into the habbit, and it feels great. Unfortunately, I'm not well acquainted with many DJ's, so discussion is usually impossible.

My first question, which has been a question of mine for some time now is, what mixers do the rest of you serious dnb DJ's use? I've recently upgraded to a Vestax PMC-05 III PRO and it's a dramatic improvement over the old Stanton SK-SIX I learned on, and played on for years.

This mixer, though, only has a 2-band EQ. I'm really torn whether I want to eventually own a 2-band or 3-band EQ Mixer. While I'd enjoy the versatility, it's hard to find a good, affordable 3-band EQ Mixer with heavy scratching and turntablism in mind. At least for me it has been.

I'd be interested to hear what you more experienced DJ's have to say about this.

Anyhow, Hello, I'm nytejade. :saber:

Welcome nytejade (y)

I have a cheapo Gemini mixer at home, not much good for anything at all really :teeth:

I really enjoy the DJM series mixers.

Curious, how often do you guys fiddle with your midrange?

Also, is there a website around with dnb mixing techniques? I literally picked up some decks a few years back and started learning. I didn't know any dnb dj's to give me pointers or anything. I just jumped right in and learned. I'd be interested to see what other types of mixing styles people use.

nytejade said:
My first question, which has been a question of mine for some time now is, what mixers do the rest of you serious dnb DJ's use? I've recently upgraded to a Vestax PMC-05 III PRO and it's a dramatic improvement over the old Stanton SK-SIX I learned on, and played on for years.
Hell yeah. I still use my Stanton SK SIX Mixer still. Been using it for almost 4 years now and still runs strong. It's actually my one and only mixer i ever bought and used. When this one craps out, i'll prolly get a Vestax samurai edition(costs mad loot though). (y)

nytejade said:
Also, is there a website around with dnb mixing techniques? I literally picked up some decks a few years back and started learning. I didn't know any dnb dj's to give me pointers or anything. I just jumped right in and learned. I'd be interested to see what other types of mixing styles people use.

Yeah, you can get pretty hectic on the decks with dnb. Some basic tricks you can do are:
Teasing, Double Dropping, Phasing/Flanging, Doubling Up, etc.
Check DJ's like Craze, Andy C, Mampi Swift, Zinc, Marky. They got some sick skizzillz. :zest:

I'm not very familiar with those terms. Where could I find some explanations? Also, do you guys pass around recorded mixes and critique each other? While I can be extremely productive with sitting down and dissecting my own mixes, it's always nice to get other peoples' opinions--from a technical standpoint.

By the way, that animation of the guy breaking the record over his head is hillarious. I hope to god that's you. lol

Last edited:
its not, its this funny funny vid thats online of some guy singing along to miya hi miya ha (do not ask me th real name, i dont have a clue)

and he goes totally sick!!!!!

Welcome to the forum, hope u enjoy ur stay!

As far as djing, i havent got a clue, cuz i havent even started learning yet. but sum turntables/mixer/records is the first thing im investing in once i find a job.

Back
Top Bottom