Hello all, I have a slight problem

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by dvdripped, Jan 2, 2006.

1. dvdripped

dvdripped New Member

Hello All.

Great site and forum.

I have recently bought a laptop, now I have a set of decks, but Im not sure how to attach my decks through the laptop.

the sound card I have in my laptop has 2 connections, the mic , and the headphone bit.

I know it seems so basic or so straight forward, but I really dont know how to do this.

And what would be the best software to use for the mixing through my decks onto the laptop.

Any help would be greatlly appreciated

All the best

dvdripped

:2thumbs:

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

If you don't have a line-in on your laptop you might not be able to do it. Some mic input's double as a line-in so it's probably worth checking that out, other than that I'm not really sure.

Software wise, you're looking for something that can record either a Wave or MP3 file. There are plenty of applications that can do this, such as Sony's 'SoundForge' or 'CDex' (for MP3's).

Hopefully someone else with have some good news ref. getting the decks plugged into the laptop.

3. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

The mic will act as a substitute line in but the sound quality might suffer - especially if its only a mono mic in.

You have to buy a connector with two cinch (RCA) cables at one end and a stereo single jack connector at the other end. Just type RCA + jack into ebay and you'll be sorted.

4. k-tipper

k-tipper I've been naughty, I'm banned

the sound qaulity will be alright if you get the levels right when you record, need a phono to a 3.5 mm jack , go from send/record on your mixer to the mic input on your laptop.