Heavy guitars in DnB

dafo93

SWITCH FUSION
VIP Junglist
What are your thoughts on it? Do you still think it counts as "drum and bass" if there are heavy guitar riffs throughout, while maintaining the core elements of DnB? You see a lot of people getting some flack for going down this route, most notably Pendulum, however there are several other tracks I've heard that feature guitars in yet those artists have received no backlash at all.

Here's one me and a couple of mates recently did:

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?113324-Switch-Fusion-Freefall-(feat.-Tom-Williams-amp-Osian-Jones)

What do you reckon?

JaceWzu

Pendulum get flack because they make unoriginal, copy-paste shit, not because they use a guitar in some songs. Thread over.

dafo93

SWITCH FUSION
VIP Junglist
Pendulum get flack because they make unoriginal, copy-paste shit, not because they use a guitar in some songs. Thread over.

I didn't want this to be another "pendulol" thread, but since you've brought it up - the hostilities shown towards them (the majority, anyway) was brought about after the release of In Silico, which featured more guitar heavy tunes as opposed to tracks like Plasticworld and Slam, which everybody seemed to love from the 1st album. IMO it was the change of style that attracted the hate, since they weren't "staying true to the scene".

mr karnage

deep inside the jungle
VIP Junglist
my cousin asked me what music do you listen to and i said drum and bass and she said 'you mean rock basically'

when did drum and bass sound like rock

so i showed her alex reece pulp fiction and she was like oh you mean dance

some people dont know their music

ThePapa

Suffragette City..
VIP Junglist
Apart from the Pink Floyd sample in Sing Time I'm not a fan of guitar riffs in dnb. It's all about the electric double-bass imo...

Last edited by a moderator:

luciduk

VIP Junglist
I didn't want this to be another "pendulol" thread, but since you've brought it up - the hostilities shown towards them (the majority, anyway) was brought about after the release of In Silico, which featured more guitar heavy tunes as opposed to tracks like Plasticworld and Slam, which everybody seemed to love from the 1st album. IMO it was the change of style that attracted the hate, since they weren't "staying true to the scene".

the guitar is an instrument its a means to an end its how you make a certain sound, you can make anything with a guitar, complete cheese or complete gold, if you are suggesting drum and bass fans are incapable of understanding music for its sound over its image therefor hating pendulum for simply playing guitars to start with then that is retarded, and thats why other dnb artists dont get flack for using guitars coz they dont write complete SHIT MUSIC. Break uses guitars in shitloads of his tunes and hes the king of dnb.

your right about one thing, pendulum is absolutly shit music. wait i dont think you said that. oh well. nobody cares whether u made a tune with a guitar, a native instruments plug in, or a spoon, if its fucking shit, then its fucking shit.

and by the way you are the one that brought up pendulum in your first post so dont try this "i knew it would turn into a pendulol thread" thing!!! and then saying "since you brought it up"... your posts make no sense mate!!

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

:word:

basically, what he said.

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

sorry i am aware i may havnt vented some bordem into anger there or something similar so i apologize for messing ur thread up also :)

i like music

Last edited:

Forau

CONCUSSION RECS
VIP Junglist
If a tracks good, its good, guitars or not. Sometimes it doesnt work, doesnt mean using guitars in there is shit, just done wrong.

dafo93

SWITCH FUSION
VIP Junglist
luciduk said:
if you are suggesting drum and bass fans are incapable of understanding music for its sound over its image therefor hating pendulum for simply playing guitars to start with then that is retarded

not suggesting that at all, since I'm a drum and bass fan and like music from all across the board...I've just seen users on forums act a bit insular sometimes when someone releases a new track with a slightly different vibe about it, that's all.

and by the way you are the one that brought up pendulum in your first post so dont try this "i knew it would turn into a pendulol thread" thing!!! and then saying "since you brought it up"... your posts make no sense mate!!

I only used them as an example of rock / dnb crossovers, didn't intend to start one of "those" arguments.

luciduk said:
nobody cares whether u made a tune with a guitar, a native instruments plug in, or a spoon, if its fucking shit, then its fucking shit.

agreed here, but perspectives on what's shit and what's good varies by opinion, I just happen to like Pendulum's music for what it is.

luciduk

VIP Junglist
haha like i said sorry mate, i shouldnt have stepped into this thread tbh was never a good idea!!

i just think most people will tell you its not the guitars its the music

Top Bottom