Heavy bass with NI Massive?

DigitalDevil

Hi

I'm a beginner and I want to produce dubstep/DnB. I'm working with FL Studio (or is there a better DAW for dubstep/DnB?) and now I've taken a closer look to NI Massive. Basically I can make simple basses (including wobble basses) which cannot be sensed. How can I add some bass (sensible) to my NI Massive basses? I've tried to send the massive channel to an insert and added multiple times the effect "Bass Boost", but the result isn't what I wanted. I've seen that sometimes producer add a sub bass to a wobble bass in the background, but I want to sense the wobble bass and if possible as hard as possible.

The result should be like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je64uGPEZc4 (Nero - This Way) at 1:20 or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONuNmV375...E2&index=4 (Zeds Dead - Coffee Break [ Dubstep ]) at 1:44

I'm from Switzerland and I don't write often in English. If something is ununderstandable just ask.

Cheers

If you need more of that low rumble to your sound, just add some other, simple synth to do the same bassline, but use only a single sine wave. Or use a triangle or square wave but pull the filter way down.

Someone mentioned (perhaps here, maybe on DOA) that massive has a shitty low end response and I agree. You never know what to expect when trying to make a sub from it.

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

Frequency splitting is also your friend. It's too long to write here, but google "frequency splitting + your software name" and you should find informative videos. This way you can control the low basses better with their own channel in the mixer.

Thank you for your answer. I've tried it, but it is still not enough (the sub bass). I've also tried to boost it, but when I boost it, it's too loud. No idea how I could solve this. What VST has a good low end response?

If you are using FL Studio, a simple sine wave in Sytrus is more than enough for a good sub bass. Maybe the problem is your speakers (or headphones). Also dont ever use that bass boost plug, it's pointless, and all it will do is make the sound muddy and crap and you will struggle to find room in your mix for anything else in the low end.

In the latest versions of FLStudio there's a limiter effect on the master channel. Ditch that as soon as you start a new project, or make a template without that effect. You will definately struggle to make a good mixdown with that enabled. You might need to turn things down after removing it so that they wont go red.

In the latest versions of FLStudio there's a limiter effect on the master channel. Ditch that as soon as you start a new project, or make a template without that effect. You will definately struggle to make a good mixdown with that enabled. You might need to turn things down after removing it so that they wont go red.

For a while I was using the limiter, because I was a noob and still am one.

What I did is switch that for a multi-band compressor with the limiter activated instead and found my stuff sounds a lot more nicer.

That's probably still noobish too in your eyes. :)

If you are using FL Studio, a simple sine wave in Sytrus is more than enough for a good sub bass. Maybe the problem is your speakers (or headphones). Also dont ever use that bass boost plug, it's pointless, and all it will do is make the sound muddy and crap and you will struggle to find room in your mix for anything else in the low end.

I won't use the bass boost anymore. I've a 5.1 system from logitech and a good head set from roccat so I can sense the bass. My problem with the sub bass from NI Massive and Sytrus is, that it isn't hard enough. I've played around with the octaves and also with the tone pitch, but the result is far from hard basses used in dubstep or dnb tunes.

Thank you really much for this hint!

You really need some good flat response monitor speakers or at least a good set of monitor dj headphones. 5.1 surround sound is awful for production as you will not hear the elements correctly.

And trust me, a sine wave from sytrus on a low octave is more than enough for a good sub bass. When i used FL thats what i always made my subs in. Which is what leads me to believe its your setup.

I won't use the bass boost anymore. I've a 5.1 system from logitech and a good head set from roccat so I can sense the bass. My problem with the sub bass from NI Massive and Sytrus is, that it isn't hard enough. I've played around with the octaves and also with the tone pitch, but the result is far from hard basses used in dubstep or dnb tunes.

Thank you really much for this hint!

clearly that is a set up with a sub woofer so it can replay bass frequencies properly... has nothing to do with flat response jibba jabba... he sed hes a beginner and u can learn to produce on logitech speakers fine

clearly that is a set up with a sub woofer so it can replay bass frequencies properly... has nothing to do with flat response jibba jabba... he sed hes a beginner and u can learn to produce on logitech speakers fine

Ok Einstein.......whats going wrong for him then? ;)

bad sub/bass in massive? :|

I love massive for bass sounds - check out my tut's at youtube.com/humanworkshoprecords

You can even get bloody sub from white noise in massive....

Back
Top Bottom