Headphones

Manu Forti

Detached Audio
VIP Junglist
all right guys im having problems hearing some of the sounds properly i use in my dnb atm im using an old set of creative gaming headphones :/ so me thinks its time to get something half decent.

everything sounds good on headphones then i check it on my old panasonic 5.1 dvd player (digital) and it sound completly different like missing fx or bass too quiet, and again ill try it on car stereo (kenwood head unit 4x6inch jbl and 2x12inch sub vibe) and it sound different again (in a bad way) -_-

anyhoo i think answer would be good headphones and tbh theyre my only option as neihbours complain enough about the noise here lol

my question is if i were to spend around 100 notes what headphones should i get?

senhieser (spelt wrong i bet) is the best bet, I know for sure. they may not be studio monitors but the quality is huge

I'm looking to get some headphones too, so far, the most reccomended headphones in that price range I've seen are the Beyerdynamic DT 150's, I think they're pretty much industry standard. Or there's the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO's if you wanna spend a little more.
I've heard Sennheiser are pretty good too, but don't really know much about them.

When choosing headphones, I think it comes down to 2 choices - Open ear and closed ear. If I'm correcting in thinking, closed ear are good for isolation, so you don't get any outside noise while listening to your sounds, but they tend to not handle low end very well, and can over-hype the bass. Open ear are good for giving you a much better representation of your mix, but obviously there's the problem of letting in outside noises.

Open ear are good for giving you a much better representation of your mix, but obviously there's the problem of letting in outside noises.

Its more of a problem with letting noise out, which can cause spill problems when doing recording work. Not much to worry about if your just using them for listening.

I have Beyer DT770's and they are a touch heavy on the bass but you can accommodate that if you know it's happening. It makes a big difference being able to hear the sub :)

GAK have DT 990's advertised for £120, they're open backed. Good things said about them.

Also seen good things about Audio Technica M50's. Closed back, just over £100.

Try and find a retailer where you can go and try them out. Just be aware that in the case of the DT770 (250 ohms) and other higher impedance models you'll need something to drive them with (some sort of amp)

Last edited:
i recently got a pair of Citronic HP500PRO DJ HEADPHONES HP500 PRO from whybuynew.com for £40 and there the best headphones for that price iv ever heard. they match the Sennheiser HD280PRO Headphones for sound quality and are half the price

Senheisser HD215's are my favorite

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

If noise is a problem for ya, put a Hi-Pass on your master output, I use 100hz hi-pass in the evenings, 150hz late at nights (these are the ranges that'll piss them off most), then the headphones just to check everythings sitting tight in the bass end

Senheisser HD215's are my favorite

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

If noise is a problem for ya, put a Hi-Pass on your master output, I use 100hz hi-pass in the evenings, 150hz late at nights (these are the ranges that'll piss them off most), then the headphones just to check everythings sitting tight in the bass end

Right... Why would you do that kinda shit? You just use your headphones at night and check it on monitors the next day.

Right... Why would you do that kinda shit? You just use your headphones at night and check it on monitors the next day.

because headphones dont cut it for production imo, fuked up stereo spacing for start, no way to check for phase variance/cancelations, the list of reasons is endless, great for checking things are balanced occasionly for sure

never mix ur tunes on headphones. its ok for putting ur tune together but the balance never comes out right. its one of the first things i was taught at uni. everything sounds good on headphones!

Good quality headphones vs average monitors in an untreated room?

Not always as straightforward as it seems.

more important than whether you use a pair of Alba hi-fi speakers, a pair of 20K monitors or a shitty pair of 1.99£ headfones, is knowing how they respond to the sounds you are producing, you can spend all the money in the world on decent equipment, but if you cant learn that, its a total waste of time

more important than whether you use a pair of Alba hi-fi speakers, a pair of 20K monitors or a shitty pair of 1.99£ headfones, is knowing how they respond to the sounds you are producing, you can spend all the money in the world on decent equipment, but if you cant learn that, its a total waste of time

Yup, it's about translation. Every budget set-up will have flaws, monitors or headphones. Just gotta learn it.

thanx every one for your replys...

but where does that leave me lol before i just had to get a decent set of headphones now it looks like im better investing in proper monitors :/ not cheap.

but thats fine 200 notes should do it then ill just have to keep it down at night

btw when do i get to change my avatar wont let me change it yet

Last edited:
thanx every one for your replys...

but where does that leave me lol before i just had to get a decent set of headphones now it looks like im better investing in proper monitors :/ not cheap.

but thats fine 200 notes should do it then ill just have to keep it down at night

goto a shop that will let you try them out, and pick your favorite, choosing audio equipment because you like the sound is imo worth a million opinions on which are the best

i live in rural area and best system i could get localy was my panny surround and its rubbish lol i could take a trip over edinburgh i suppose and see what i can find.

I've got a Razer Carcharias gaming headset, which sounds great, but i also mis a few sounds,
I've got a JB HP2000 Pro which also sounds great, just misses some bass, but you wouldn't notice it
And my Dj mate has a Pioneer SE-DJ5000, which is almost unbeatable
I'm gonna replace my JB by a Reloop RHP-10

Maybe it helps

Back
Top Bottom