HEADPHONES FOR PRODUCTION

Discussion in 'Production' started by Dubsta, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

I want to get a pair of headphones so i can work on my tracks on my lappy at work, on the train, in the garden ect......

Now i dont want to spend loads of cash on them because mostly ill only be using the lappy to arrange and lay down a basic track....the majority of the track wil be done on my pc with proper monitor speakers. As will the mastering.

I do want the subs to be audible however.

2. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

Okay, beyerdynamic's. Dt-770 pro 80 ohm should work, or Dt-990. Everytime heaphones come to topic, I suggest beyerdynamic, price to quality ratio is exceptional.

3. DJWhizzkidd

DJWhizzkidd Member

If they are just for messing around when you are on the move, no point spending a lot, a low end £25 pair of sennheisers will do

4. Transient Energ

Transient Energ Member

You don't want the 990's if you're using them outside a studio. They're open backed so let in loads of external noise. The 770's are closed so would be better but not sure how they compare with the 990's but should be much better than cheap Sennheisers.

How much is not loads of cash? £100, £50, £10 :confused:

5. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

Yup, I'm "upgrading" to 990's since I use them only in studio, think they would be better in there. Well, if 770's are too expensive, I think any good closed back would do, maybe some cheap krk's, audiotechnica's (never listened maybe they are shit?) or akg's? Anyone tried akg's?

6. Binary_UK

Binary_UK Binary.

I use audio technica m30's for when my alesis aren't on, great cans :)

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk 2

7. Paul Ashmore

Paul Ashmore Audio Animals Mastering

You can't go wrong with a nice pair of beyerdybnamics we use the dt-250 a lot for what you describe you want them for and the dt-990 which are extremely comfortable and can easily be worn over long period of time. Hope this helps in your choice

8. ChahliG

ChahliG New Member

you know, if you actually want some good bass response, the sony mdr-v55's do just fine, and can actually put out the subs very well, and theyre under 100 bucks over here, i got a pair for 79 since best buy wanted to put everything in the wrong location :)

9. sonic72

sonic72 Active Member

I have DT-990 Pro's and they don't let in any noise! If you have music playing in them you don't hear anything but the music!

They are open for a reason, to improve the bass, which it does very well, and the amount they leak out is pretty minimal.

The leakage is similar to listening to someone next to you on a train with in ear headphone for their ipod etc.

If you want zero leakage then go for the 770's or the 880's are semi-open, but they cost more than the 990's.

Sennheisers aren't worth touching unless you are spending over £200, unless you want DJ headphones, which are not good for production.

If you want good, accurate bass reproduction you've got to spend a bit of cash, cheap headphones of any make wont give you good bass, and the more open they headphones are the better bass you'll get.

I was worried about how much sound my DT-990 Pro's would let out, but unless you are driving them at silly ear damaging levels, then it's not actually that bad, no worse than those in-ear phones that come with i-pods etc.

I bought mine from Soundslive online, £121 delivered, that's the 250 ohm version, work fine with the standard headphone socket on my soundcard. There is a new version of the 990's, they cost almost twice as much, but just look different, so not worth paying double for essentially the same thing.

You're other option is a pair of below £100 Closed AKG's, but as with all closed headphones, the bass suffers.

10. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Use your HD25s mang