HEADphone style

dizzzeejungle

Junglist Down Under..
VIP Junglist
Iv been watchin a bit of dnbtv and youtube lately and i noticed heaps of DJs always have at least one earphone on alll the time

I watched AMCs latest one and he seems to have both on 90% of the time,

Isn't it hard to monitor your mix if you have one or both on ? or do people switch over the signal on their headphones to master signal when they're in the mix ?

i normally just have one track in one ear, then match it, then bring it in using monitors only, no headphones, but since i have no friends who DJ, i dont know if this is the right way ,

cheers :wave:

i normally just have one track in one ear, then match it, then bring it in using monitors only, no headphones

It depends on the monitor situation and personal preference. But that's how I do it too, and I've never had a need to do it any different

Last edited:
Iv been watchin a bit of dnbtv and youtube lately and i noticed heaps of DJs always have at least one earphone on alll the time

I watched AMCs latest one and he seems to have both on 90% of the time,

Isn't it hard to monitor your mix if you have one or both on ? or do people switch over the signal on their headphones to master signal when they're in the mix ?

i normally just have one track in one ear, then match it, then bring it in using monitors only, no headphones, but since i have no friends who DJ, i dont know if this is the right way ,

cheers :wave:

You aren't missing out on some secret way to get your mixes locked quicker.

Its all about what you're comfortable with doing. I do exactly the same as you and have been for 13 years.

I can't see any reason why you would need to put both headphones on both headphones apart from split cueing if the monitors are so shit that you can't hear both tunes in the mix - even then it's not a good habit to get into man. AMC or ANDY C... I know who I'd rather learn from. ;)

i've found over that when starting out i always used to listen to both through the headphones and just with my ears, but over time when you get comfortable with your mixer control you can leave on earphone on 90% of the time which means you can concentrate on the blend, rather then having to faff about with taking your phones on and off all the time.

Its hard to be confident enough to leave the headphones well alone but that will take time. I think its definately worth persuing because it saves messing around and leaves you more time to get the mix clean.

Hope that helps :)

when i first learnt to mix, i did one headphone one ear, monitor in the other... my mates used to mix the two tunes in the headphones and i found it weird...

now i get the mixes in line using one headphone and the moitor, then get it spot on with both tunes in the headphone... the only time i would use both phones would be if it was fucking loud in the club...

personal preference init!

when pissing about at home i dont usually bother with the headphones at all. unless everyones asleep and i fancy a blend at 4am!

1 tune in my headphone.... the way ive always done and always will.... although... sometimes the monitors are shit at clubs and you have to mix in your headphones... Club 333 for example... no monitors on one of their stages.... so you have no choice other than mixing in your headphones

Back
Top Bottom