HD Graphics Cards?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by muzzadj, May 8, 2010.

1. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Ez all, sorting myself a new HD TV to use as my monitor and of course TV and was wondering if you could HD Graphics cards with an HDMI out?!

Cheers!

EDIT: found some :) any pc heads want to find me one for about 100quid or will i have to fork out a bit more? Also if i can run dual with my Nvidia 8800GTS that would be pretty sweet!

2. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

You'll probably have to fork out a bit more. ATI HD5870 or something like that has HDMI and is liked by gamers.

3. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

go for the ati radeons mate - do you overclock?
    the 5770 is probably the best value for money, although it is best with motherboards with crossfire..
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/186468

4. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

woah woah, if he doesnt game then theres no point suggesting 5000 series! My 4850 has an HDMI slot and is within your £100 budget. http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-135-XF

regarding running two 8800GTS', theres no real point if you dont play games.

If of course, you do want to play games, then go for the 5850/5770 as mentioned above.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  5. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

auto pilot mode.. really should read the whole op before posting..

the 4850's are good, i have one on our other pc, good value and can run games well so should be fine for your needs

6. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

7. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

absolutely fine, about the same as your current 8800GTS really :)

8. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

9. SmallVictoriez

SmallVictoriez Teen Pop Sensation

Murray, the 4850 is a good buy, the 9000 series is just as good, whichever you can find cheapest - just make sure to budget in a power supply with at least 650 wattage or else your current one will likely burn out & you'll be SOL, get BFG or Corsair though, the other brands are shit quality.

Hows about a list of specs eh? Motherboard, CPU, RAM type & frequency, FSB/northbridge frequency - could recommend a load of upgrades that wouldn't be all that expensive.

Also man, you can just pick up a DVI-D to HDMI cable *you could use your current card for the HD TV*, they are about 50 USD... It'd save you more money than going for the power supply and the GPU at the same time.

10. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Awesome, found out i need to buy a few more things and save a bit more money before i sort my pc out a little, so may just go for the cable! Will it make much of a difference over dvi??

11. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

Wouldn't it be pointless getting a super hi end graphics card if TV's tend to have lower resolutions than monitors?

12. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

he wanted a graphics card with an HDMI port, and the cheapest ones are either 4000 ATIs or 9000 nvidias. But yeah you could always get the cable too

@SmallVictoriez, he only wants a new graphics card to power an HD TV, why the hell do you want to know the full specs of his PC?! Hes not gonna overclock anything or suddenly invest in water cooling! And Ive got an i7 920, with a 4850 1gb running on a 550W power supply lol, running fine. Why do tech people always have to overcomplicate things with mega computer jargon the average person wont even understand?

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

muzza, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-HDMI-Cable-Gold-Metre/dp/B000GDI6FC the quality wont be any worse than an HDMI cable

13. SmallVictoriez

SmallVictoriez Teen Pop Sensation

DVI and HDMI have the same video quality, the only difference is that an HDMI cable can transfer both audio and visual signals, whereas DVI can only do video. So yup, unless ya want to upgrade it all...

Who doesn't love a faster computer eh? Wasn't meaning to recommend a WHOLE new setup, but a lot of people would be willing to spend a couple hundred if it meant increasing their speed to double its current level. Can't blame an IT guy for geeking out!

Nice with the i7 920, 2.66 Ghz x8 logical cores -- fucking sweet, silly me for buying the Phenom II x4 black..

Harry's right - I forgot to mention in my first post Murray, you'd only need the 650 watt PSU if you meant to run with the two video cards as you mentioned earlier, if you're looking for a straight replacement then a 550 would likely do.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  14. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Ahh cheers guys, may just keep it all how it is and connect it with DVI and save my money abit! Cheers for the info anyway guys :) Muchos appreciatos