HD 25s - 'broken cup'

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Kobi, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Kobi

Kobi Member

I only use 1 ear for the cue so only just noticed that no sound comes out of my right side on my hd 25s. I've tried it on an mp3 played incase it was the mixer/needle but no luck.
    Is there any way to fix this, by replacing the cable maybe? I don't want to fork out for spare parts if they won't help, but i'm going to use them for my mp3 player/laptop more so need both sides working

2. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

Maybe check the cables for any damage, if they've spent a lot of time being tangled or trodden on or whatever then could be the cables. Are the plugs loose at all?

3. evermind

evermind Broken Symmetry

Yeah this is a common problem, try fiddling around with the wires.

4. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

i had the same issue. took them apart to see what was wrong with them. Turns out theres a microscopicaly thin wire that connects the cable to the cup and it had come free. i attempted to solder it back together (and i consider myself to be fairly proficient when it comes to electrical shit) and ended up completely fucking it. i now have to use shitty headphones as i cant afford new ones.

5. OneSeventy

OneSeventy Mohican Sun

The opening and closing mechanism on the headband part of the HD 25 can cut into the wire when you close it. Have a look and see if there is any wear on the wires from this. I know my brother got his replaced because of this issue, but his new ones are the same. He just has to be careful.

6. Matty28

Matty28 Active Member

Why dont you just buy the spare part? Beauty of HD25's is all parts are replaceable!

7. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

i could do yeah. just one of those things that i never got round to doing. i also dont like that i have to buy a whole new cup when the only thing thats gone is a tiny wire. there sick headphones but i know a lot of people that have had them break!

8. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Member

I had the same problem, check the cable for damage and make sure the connections into the cups are all good.

9. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

I was having a similar issue, I found the plugs that connect to the sockets in the cups was coming loose, just pressed it in really hard and its fine.

10. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

switch the cables around. if the other ear doesn't play, u know its the cable.