Having major issues.

mix is really messy. maybe if you can clean it up it'd be easier to focus on getting a good pulsing bass. It sounds like its mostly a sub bass, i can hear a little mid bass used here and there... might suggest simplifying the mix.

Can you just post the bass in solo?
Is there a compressor on master channel that is setted in a very hard ratio and low treshold?
Are your tracks clipping?

Until 0:18 sounds like all is ok, then kick start and all goes fucked up.

My first impression is that your dynamc processors on some track (buss?) are extremely wrong setted up.

Turn off al the compressors, level the tracks below the cliping levels and repost the result.

It sounds exactly as when you put a compressor on the master track with a low treshold and high ratio, and the sidecain everything to the dynamics of anoter track(e.g. drums).

I'm so bored this saturday night that I even spent time to do an example of the wrongly used sidechain...
I've bussed everything except the shaker loop to a buss with a sidechained comp.
Result?
Have fun!!!

Thanks all for your help. I thought it was EQ, Every thing is on its own track, and insert. I have the drums side chained to the bass's sub low and mid.

Is using compression bad Rajstah???

Well Rajstah let me ask you this.

From the books I have been reading and world wide stuff on the web are saying that each insert should be at its own frequency and no other insert should use that same frequency. Am I understanding that??? Also I asked you above about the SC and the Compression....... This is so stupid I see this asked a lot and people say its all in your ears, I understand that completely. But say you Side chain all your kick drums to a Pad so the Pad will drop lvls when the kick appears, as in a pump sound. Do I also do that in the sub bass and the mid and top basses? Or every sound? That is something I am having problems comprehending. Thanks everyone. You have no idea what all this means to me :)

Live on! Stay Strong!

Last edited:
Thanks all for your help. I thought it was EQ, Every thing is on its own track, and insert. I have the drums side chained to the bass's sub low and mid.

Is using compression bad Rajstah???
It's probably on that the answer (I hope for you).
Which element of the drum you used for sidechain? Kick, Snare or whole drums?
Sorry, I just investigate a bit to get clear the pic of what's going on on your set.
Could be maybe that the release of the compressor is too long, so the compressed sound doesn't have anough time to breath back on level.

Will be very useful to see a snapshot of the parameters of the comp.

Evo9 I think compression is good when its used to glue together layers of snares or layers of anything. and in moderation. just use a light compression. make 300 tracks and start with little compression and build up until you get that balance...

Chase and status gave an interview where they said some of the top mastering engineers in Britain gave them the advice to not use compressors on their master output because it kills the dynamics.

I know Noisia use fabfilter eq, compressor and limiter. i like to use the compressor on my snare bus and maybe kick and hat bus, maybe vocals... etc... and use the limiter on my drum bus and boost the gain, check fabfilter...

Cheers from WA state.

Okay well here is the break down. I took all the kicks, like lower kicks and higher kicks that are layered to Some Pads, and the question I asked earlier "About using that technique on the bass lines also?" Maybe that is why my bass was drained....

:):)

Equilibrium when you say layers of snares. You can do that on layers of kicks also I believe. I may be wrong. I will try different techniques as that brings forth further knowledge. Can you do that on like your SB, and Mid-top bass? I will go try it.

Thumbs up on the WA state. Really nasty here tho m8te.

I'll let you all know.

I don't exactly know your level or skills Evo, but just to post something that can be useful and interesting, I'll suggest to have a look to the wiki page about the different ways of use compression, parallel, sidechained or serial.
It's quite a short but well explained page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression#Side-chaining
Just to make clear the concept.

I will say that the main point, or actually need, of sidechain on dance music, or bass music, is to avoid conflicts, mess and lost of beat on the low end side of a tune.
To use an effettive and basic sidechain with purely dynamics benefits on low end, you just need to use a comp on a subbass track and feed the sidechain of your compressor with the signal coming only from the kick of your drums.
It depends on the type of compressor, but let's say that usually sould be with a fast attack, short decay, a low treshold and high ratio (treshold and ratio are really relatives to what sort of sounds you need to mix).
If your kick drum is rich on low end freqs, you can even set the treshold to -60 or lower, and ratio to infinite, in a way to almost mute the sub while the kick play.
For this, you must check with an analyser if your kick has enough low freqs, use eq to clean the kick below the 80 or 70hz. So you keep the bassy belly of the kick that compensate the gain reduction of the sub.

Other ways to use sidechain compression for other tracks , like pads, synths, leads, vocals, fx, reeces, I think they are purely an artistic tool to create dynamics effects, but not a necessity.

Last edited:
I will read up on that as soon as some chicken is done 0.o You made a very clear understanding of what you meant by cleaning up the frequencies. Now say I want to drop out of DNB, Dubstep, or Jungle for a few and want to switch to rock or swing or even jazz. I have seen FREQ charts out there for specific freqs. http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

or even:

http://soundsandgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/FM_clubmix_dsktp.jpg

Now can I follow these for every genre?

thats an interesting question. you know there are some similarities between drum and bass drum kits and rock drum kits, both are geared toward large rooms or arenas. jazz kits have a lighter weight in the kick.... pop music is totally different to everything.

definitely something to think about. as genres merge together or at least influence each other this question will become even more important.

EDIT: this dnb track has some jazz drums going on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom