Having a party in the woods / a field

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by danhowe25, Aug 19, 2014.

1. danhowe25

danhowe25 Alias

Hey Forum,

I'm thinking I want to set up a party in a field for my mates, probably about 20 to 40 people.
    Has anyone set up something similar to this? I'm looking for advice on how much power we would need; I'd look to hire a generator for decks, speakers and lights and that. We have gazebos and large tents etc to keep all the equipment dry but is there anything else we should consider?

We would obviously be able to find a nice secluded location and we're old enough that there wouldn't be any idiots being 'that guy' and doing something stupid.

Other than that is there any other stuff I haven't even thought of? This idea is really just an idea still so any help appreciated!

Thanks guys!

2. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

3. danhowe25

danhowe25 Alias

If we found the right secluded location, surely we could get away with no permits? I'm not talking about a full on rave with huge speakers, more like 200 watt speakers at best? Still gonna need permits? If so am I likely to be granted one for a private party like this do you know?

4. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

This is not america IV we aren't all permitted up to the eyeballs.

First question is are any tickets being sold? If not then it's a private party so you've just got the noise problem to worry about. Second question is will it look anything like this?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  5. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

Here in the jungles of brazil if you manage to set up a "rave", being it for aroung 1000 people or just you banging your head and walking in the woods acting like a troll (much like older bm videoclips), if someone report this to the police you'll be in trouble. So I guess IV4 gave you the right idea.

Unless it'll be inside any of your friends property, which means you don't need any permit to make this happen obviously.

6. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Sorry you're right Sid the first question is is it on private property?

7. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

get as far away from any residential property as you can, and you might be okay. Wost case scenario, police show up and tell you to fuck off.

8. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

ah man. I wanted to come :(

9. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

finding a nice secluded spot is probly the biggest challenge

200W will not be anywhere near enough for even 20-40 people, if you are playing any kind of dance music, you will want at least 1.5K of sound, sounds allot, but it really isn't for outdoors, 1K of Sub and 0.5K of full-range speakers on top, and it still aint gona be that loud, but its ok for a little private party - but make sure you kick your DJ's up the arse every 10 minutes and don't let them Red light the mixer or amp, not even a glimmer of red light, coz you *will* fuk the speakers, distortion from the mixer or amp will mean an end to the sound system and your deposit (even a low end sound system will set you back a grand or two if you fuk it up) - better to get 3-5K of sound and keep control of the amp level, than risk a quiet system and over eager dj's constantly cranking it up

Police will only be a problem if you are causing a nuisance, I've been puttin on squats n outdoor parties for most of my adult life, and only been shut down a few times, its all about being considerate, keeping the place clean while you are partying, and having a little respect for the OB if they do turn up, they can be pretty relaxed about it, if they see its just a private gathering, theres no fights or vandalism going on, we've had them bouncing around in front of the speakers before now :p ....but, obviously, keep any substances well out of view, and do not invite anyone who has a big mouth when drunk/high, or the party will be over the moment they open their mouth to the OB

haha :p

- - - Updated - - -

would be nice if it was true, but the police have shut down private BBQ birthday parties before now, thinking they where raves, I remember a little village in the west country got sealed off, all the roads blocked...40 year old dood is sitting in his back garden wondering why no ones come to his BBQ lol mostly they'r alright...but if they think its a "rave", ie ur charging money to get in, advertising it, etc, well, u better make sure there is a 1000 people there before the OB turn up, or they will shut it down

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    logikz likes this.
  10. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

andrew! drop some sik rhymes!!

11. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

what?! they have donk in russia?!

- - - Updated - - -

sure I can see marklar in there somewhere

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  12. SIRUS

SIRUS 変なひと

I like fields. I like trees made of wood. I like fire. I like the way flames look like dancing naked angels.

Count me in.

13. danhowe25

danhowe25 Alias

Thanks for all the responses guys! The party would be private, no tickets, just a bunch of friends all chipping in to do something a bit different. I have a few venue ideas (not listing them on here for obvious reasons!) which are all absolute miles from any residential areas and we're all kind, wonderful, nature loving souls so we would take shit loads of black bin liners and clean up after ourselves, so even if the police did come I think they would have a bit of a hard time shutting us down. As I said, it is going to be for 20 to 40 people, are you sure we would need 1.5k of sound?! We had a leaving party for my mate where we set up the decks in her garden (her garden is basically a field!) and 2x200w speakers absolutely blared. Lastly, does anyone know what size generator we would need to run decks, lighting (one or two strobe lights and one or two of those halogen floodlight things? Would need to last a fair while, we are party animals :p

14. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

lol

david howE

15. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

ok well it depends how loud is loud for you, if you arnt looking to feel the sub then sure, 400w total is ok, most likely you didn't have any sub speakers in the garden? if you where to increase the power of the 400w system, then you would probly want to add 800w of sub...i'm a sound engineer tho, for me, loud isn't the same as loud for most ppl, if you have used 400W before and where happy with it, then why not! where the speakers facing a wall of the house? coz that would increase the apparent loudness of the system

generator output should be at least 20% higher than the total you need

400w sound
    2 X CDJ1000 30W
    1 X A&H Xone 62 (<100W)
    2 X 500w halogen flood
    2 X 50w strobe (?)

1660W + 20%... 2KW minimum generator size ....do ur own calc of course, diesel generators tend to be cheaper to run than petrol

police are unlikely to shut you down if it looks like theres no real issues, but if the neighbours have complained, they might, if they are talking about shutting down, offer to turn the music right down for a while, they may say OK, and tell to you to pack up at 9am before ppl start wondering around...it depends on the force tho, some are c*nts, no two ways about it, if you are in Wiltshire for eg, forget it

16. danhowe25

danhowe25 Alias

Cheers for the reply bro, great info! Dumbass question, how long would a 2KW generator run all the above for?

17. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

depends how big the fuel tank is, impossible to guess, but when you hire one they should be able to tell you how many hours you will get out of a tank @ full load, then take a little extra in a proper fuel jerry can just in case

if it comes pre-filled, double check how much they will charge you to refill it when you return it, it might be cheaper to refill it yourself before returning it, sometimes not tho, depends if you get industry rates on the fuel from the hire shop (red diesel), and sometimes the fuel is included in the price

make sure you get the right power adapters for the job aswell, allot of generators are 3 Phase, you cant plug a standard wall plug into a 3 Phase socket without an adapter - also worth checking the noise level, the 400W you had before, was that running off a generator or from the power of the house? generators are noisey beasts, you will want it kept well away from the sound system (and well away from anyone drinking, you wont believe how many people will sit on a generator with a beer in one hand and a fag in the other!!)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  18. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

I played a field party recently and 1/4 way thru the night they had to turn the speakers 90 degs, but they couldnt move the decks easily so I had a bunch of people raving to the side of me which was proper weird.. Moreso a shame as they had a decent rig and light setup!

Moral of the story; Do some sound checks before people get there, get a mate on a push bike to ride around and see how far it goes and which houses will be affect etc. knock on doors rah rah