Having a go - need some help

jimjimjim

oldskool
VIP Junglist
Hello,
Looking for some advice - never mixed or anything before but wanted to have a go.
Gonna buy a pair of 2nd hand stanton t60 direct drive turntables and mixer (trying to do this all for under 200)
Anyways - my question is this:
scratching - do you need to buy special needles/stylus (dont know what the right name is sorry) to scratch?
or do you reckon the ones that come with the turntables will do it? its an ex display model im getting.
If i need special ones - whats the cheapest ones for a t60?

(not that i think i will do much scratching - but if i did i dont want to screw the record or the needle)

cheers

shure m447's will be good.
strong and low record wear due to spherical stylus tips

For scratching and back-cueing purposes, the spherical stylus is recommended. This is because -- during scratching -- the spherical stylus wears your record less than an elliptical stylus. Ironically, the same two small contact points that wears out your record during standard play (on a spherical stylus) is also the reason that your records wear down less during scratching (i.e., there's less contact area being destroyed)

cheers man.
one more thing - er this may sound a bit lame.
do i need a cartridge or a stylus?
Dont really know whats what if you get me?
i think the stylus is the needle bit - so is the cartgridge the other bit - and can you fit any stylus into any cartridge?

sorry im a complete noob at this

yeah u will do. £99 a pair http://www.westenddj.co.uk/Product/SHURE/DJ_Equipment/M44-7/ not the cheapest but still one of the best u can get for the price.

let me know what carts and stylus u get with them and i'll see what they are like for you mate.
have a feeling they will be stanton 500s. could be wrong, they will be ok but if ur scratching they will prob break sooner than u think, if it is them id keep them till they do break then upgrade

you won't be able to scratch on t60s, they got a pathetic motor, my mate has a pair, you have to be ULTRA delicate with the record to make sure you don't stop the platter, you won't be able to do it as a noob,

at least get the t80s, much stronger motor ,

or at the very least , have a bash on t60s first to see if you want to frustrate yourself and throw away money

thanks for that m8.
i aint bought the decks yet - will have a look and see how much a 2nd hand pair of t80 go for
cheers
jim

hmm - but i just want to have a go at mixing - dont want to fork out more than 200 all in (decks and mixer)
no fair.
I suppose i could get a cheap CD DJ thing and buy ONE decent turntable - or is that even harder to mix a record to a CD??
meh :(

to be fair, i had numark tt-1650's for about 6 months, fell in love with mixing and bought technics. I got the pair and a mixer for 150 and managed to sell them on for 180! They tought me to beatmatch just fine and if your not heavy handed scratching isnt impossible on them. there no where near as strong as technics and dont even compare (danwells right in saying you wont regret savign for them) but if you are just doing it to see if its your cup of tea, i dont see the problem. Ive never used the stantons, but thats my numark experience in a nutshell. as for the carts they come with, there shite and will die if you scratch on them after about 5-6 weeks. but there only like a 5er each to replace!

Started on a pair of numark tt1520 direct drives.

Cant tell you how much i wish id saved for an extra few weeks/months and got 1210's.

Saying that, the 1520's werent that bad, ive used worse. Cost me £120 on gumtree, with a 2 channel numark mixer and 10 records (one of which was champion sound).

Pretty much agree with what Teddy says...although im yet to buy them myself M44-7's are supposed to be as good as it gets.

I would like to stay that the stanton 500's are not bad for a low budget stylus. certainly for someone who is beginning they are not a bad option at all, yes they are prone to breaking, but for the price they are a pretty decent all rounder and you won't find much better for the price. Trust me I still use them as a backup pair in case my other needles have some issues.

Back
Top Bottom