have we been here before?

mesh

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,399
Likes
14
#1
What do you think of the term '*********'? Maybe I'm losing it, but I thought we just used to call it jump-up, well me and my friends always have. I was mystified when I first heard the term, I guess it kinda makes sense now, but is it neccesary? Big wobbly, stupid basslines and basic stepping break-patterns have been around for years.
Plus it sounds like a pisstake, and seems to attract disdain just as 'jump-up' did few years back now.
Is it a useful term? Am I just old?

:banana:
 

mesh

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,399
Likes
14
#2
okay, that answers one question.
For those of you as ignorant of dnbforum humour as me, that censored term refers to "circus performers walking".
(have the feeling I missed a few riotous threads on this one ...)
 

MC Motion

Custom Avatarmess
Messages
274
Likes
0
#4
Cl0wn5t3p is a term that was invented only a few month's back. Its a long story but it involve's dogsonacid and Dylan and the style of tunes as you mentioned in your post.

Its getting on a bit now hence the censoring. People take offence apparantly
:twitchy:
 

jay walker

1/2 of Passive/Aggressive
VIP Junglist
Messages
3,887
Likes
9
#5
Fruck it - i dont care what it gets called - if it hits the spot, then its all good!

I wouldnt use the term personally an people just like to catagorize anything nowadays.

At the moment im working on a new genre called “Troll-Stomp” :twitchy: :razz:
 

Mulla

Digital Future
VIP Junglist
Messages
2,158
Likes
1
#6
What we cant write ********* anymore? LMAO



Next thing we wont be allowed to talk about tunes we dont like.



Oh how I love dnb politics.
 

mesh

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,399
Likes
14
#8
yeah cool. I had the feeling it was a net thing, cos people dont seem to use it in real life, so to speak. Maybe that's a clue ...
:weirdo:
 

inf0r

/!\ Dainjah /!\
VIP Junglist
Messages
582
Likes
0
#10
Mulla said:
What we cant write ********* anymore? LMAO



Next thing we wont be allowed to talk about tunes we dont like.



Oh how I love dnb politics.
Erm, not quite as strong as that. Don't you find the 30 threads per day asking what it is, why it is, how it is, is this tune.... tedious, i know I fkin do! It sorta negates the problem, it's all drum n bass, you get harder tunes, you get cheesy tunes, you get middle of the road standard tunes, it's all dnb, no need to pigeon hole it into 9,000,000 different sub genres, it defeats the purpose of dnb being such a fluid & dynamic genre...

It seems to me that John smith likes tune A. He really digs this sound, so he calls it johnstep, he will only buy/play/listen to johnstep, everything else is batty... Just defeats the idea.. To me, a narrow minded musical palate shows a sign of a limited intellect..

To be fair tho, the one that really did make me larf tho, was the "is tech itch *********" fkin quality thread :D
 
Last edited:

logikz

I Am Not The King
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
Messages
11,117
Likes
2,984
#11
that is just fucking ridiculous. doesnt even feel like a genre since the closest weve come to a concensus as to what cl0wn5t3p is is just any drum and bass you dont like. when tech met jump up with lfo heavy basslines, ill bet you can describe almost any tune with a bit of drive to it like that. ive never heard this type of expression before in drum and bass, its not good for the music. i didnt care for it when it was used to describe swingstep and i think it promotes negativism. jumpup parties are the bizness.
 

sdm

This is Dog Fort
VIP Junglist
Messages
12,717
Likes
17
#13
The word was taken off because I was fed up seeing certain people classify all 'happy' Drum & Bass as this 'new'? genre.

It's getting tired really quickly.

Mulla, feel free to cuss tunes all day long, I won't stop you.

It's just a stupid word, let's not get upset about it.
 

MC Motion

Custom Avatarmess
Messages
274
Likes
0
#14
inf0r said:
Erm, not quite as strong as that. Don't you find the 30 threads per day asking what it is, why it is, how it is, is this tune.... tedious, i know I fkin do! It sorta negates the problem, it's all drum n bass, you get harder tunes, you get cheesy tunes, you get middle of the road standard tunes, it's all dnb, no need to pigeon hole it into 9,000,000 different sub genres, it defeats the purpose of dnb being such a fluid & dynamic genre...

It seems to me that John smith likes tune A. He really digs this sound, so he calls it johnstep, he will only buy/play/listen to johnstep, everything else is batty... Just defeats the idea.. To me, a narrow minded musical palate shows a sign of a limited intellect..

To be fair tho, the one that really did make me larf tho, was the "is tech itch *********" fkin quality thread :D

Damn good point,

never really thought about it that way, I mean look what happened to House.......... Hard House, Trance, Techno, Euphoric, Chilled, the list goes on!!!!!!!

We certainly don't want that happening to drum and bass (did someone say jungle?)!!!

I still don't like Twisted Individual though!!!
 

freeagent

Almost 30
VIP Junglist
Messages
1,891
Likes
1
#15
Who really cares at the end of the day? I just equate the term with the samey sound (described above) that I hear too much of in DnB today. But I still play some of it if it is well done. Isn't that what counts?
 

inf0r

/!\ Dainjah /!\
VIP Junglist
Messages
582
Likes
0
#17
MC Motion said:
Damn good point,

never really thought about it that way, I mean look what happened to House.......... Hard House, Trance, Techno, Euphoric, Chilled, the list goes on!!!!!!!

We certainly don't want that happening to drum and bass (did someone say jungle?)!!!

I still don't like Twisted Individual though!!!
Look what happened with raves back in the day, there's a flyer on Dylan's site with a rather fresh faced Fabio, Grooverider (in a whistle n waistcoat)! JJF & Carl Cox on the same flyer... I think raves have got the music to a nice level of diversity now, no need to classify further..

If I'm mixin in the house or whatever, I'll play fluffy tunes, drop some jumpy stuff, then maybe get a bit moodier, it's all good..

Someone said on a board (can't remember who or where) that the term is a throw away term, to describe a tune in a post on a forum, it holds no significance whatsoever.. Same as this post here, people should just get over it man..
 

mesh

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,399
Likes
14
#19
whoa, stirred up a hornet's nest!!
I really didnt want to. I agree with most peoples' opinion of it here, that it is really a useless classification, just wanted to see what the headz worldwide really thought. The term never caught on in Oz, so I was curious too ..
peace,
:gpeace:
 

Mulla

Digital Future
VIP Junglist
Messages
2,158
Likes
1
#20
sdm said:
Mulla, feel free to cuss tunes all day long, I won't stop you.

It's just a stupid word, let's not get upset about it.


Im not gettin upset mate, and I certainly dont feel the need to spend my time cussing about it lol. Just censorship over something so minor seems silly to me. Id have expected it maybe of other forums, but not this one.

I agree that its just a stupid word, I myself play/buy/listen to a lot of tunes that would be considered 'clovvnstep', but I dont see the need to ban people from saying it. I think all the anti-Dillinja/Hazard/whoever threads get boring too, but theres no need to delete them, thats what I thought a public forum was all about - expressing thoughts and opinions, whatever they are as long as theyre not offensive.

And if anyones actually offended by a word like 'clovvnstep' used by internet elitists, well....
 
Last edited:
Top