Have i got right DB for my custom earplugs?

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Junglist_007, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Junglist_007

Junglist_007 learning difficulties

Just wondering if someone can help me out. I finaly got my custom made earplugs. I'm not sure if i got right DB, i put them in my ear put headphones on. I have to put the volume right up on the mixer about 6 or 7, just to hear. Is that normal? I got 25DB on my earplugs. Should i got lower one? Or just case of geting use to them. Cheers for any advice :) :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. robhicks1

robhicks1 Nuts about Zoo

25dB is a large attenuation. They will be ideal for when you go raving and if you play out. Why are you using them in your bedroom though lol?

3. Junglist_007

When i practise in the bedroom i got habbit turning the volume up like twat not thinking about my hearing. When i go out always got ipod on full blast. All i can hear in my ear is annoying faint ringing sound. I went doctors told me could be tintius, i didnt fancy having ringing in my ear or going deaf for rest of my life. Thats scary thought lol. I seen on chemcial records they sell them. What ones would be best for bedroom use? Anyone help me out. Cheers guys :)

4. robhicks1

robhicks1 Nuts about Zoo

When you go raving or play out make sure you always take your custom ones.
    When your DJ'ing in your room the simplest thing to do is force yourself to have it really quiet. As long as you have a nice rounded sound it shouldn't be a problem. Having it loud is fun but if it costs you your hearing...
    Alternatively use these http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR226585
    They are cheap and have a smaller attenuation than your custom ones.
    As for iPods and MP3 players there are two reasons you push them so loud. Firstly background noise from traffic etc makes you push it up to drown it out.
    Secondly due to the open nature of shit ear bud headphones they leak sound (especially bass) and thus you turn them up again.
    To sort this either wear big DJ headphones as these will block out sound.
    Or you can get small silicone tips that go over the end of your normal earphones or get decent earphones like these
    http://www.shure.co.uk/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/SEModels/index.htm
    You will see the rubber tips that fit in your ears to block outside noise and reduce bass leakage.
    Hope that helps you man.

5. Junglist_007

That helped me out lot, cheers for the links i shall check them out. I always wondered why silicone tips was on headphones, didn't know it was for that reason. Big up for reply :)