Hats!?

DonShifty

Hi!

found this old Producer Video(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpDNNOpVXP8
at 0,50 they censored the name of the Break! WTF Man?! Why is that? :mad:

Anyway - thought i ask you guys:

What Hats do you use? Which Samplepacks or Breaks? And how do you manage your Hat-rolls?!
I'm looking for some Samples with good Mid-parts.. not too much information in the Highs.. So right now i`m browsing my HipHop Packs!
Any Tips for me?!

I'll usually start of by doing one of the following:

1. Try to find the cleanest hats possible that have little or no processing. Throw them your sampler of choice and sequence them via piano range/midi seq. Add some velocity/off-count swing for some "humanized" flavor. To add, I'll usually create my entire kit from samples that have been imported into my sampler so I can visually see all the "hits" via MIDI so I know where to fill in the holes to keep the overall groove driving.

2. Take a bunch of breaks loops (REX preferred) and then go into each break region & deleting every sound except the hats. Then bounce these modded REX files into standard wav/aiff files and start slicing them up & rearranging.

Hats will always have info in the highs. I find using some subtle (or aggressive if you prefer) automation (pitch, lowpass EQ, etc) can really add to the character of the hats while subduing the highs.

If the overall kit is sounding a bit too heavy frequency-wise, I'll usually sidechain my kick and/or snare to my hi-hat/cymbal bus to tame some of the high-end madness.

As far as sample packs goes, Vengeance tend to offer the motherload of great hats that (surprise) have generally not been processed to death. Pretty much any Artist Series Loopmasters pack will come with some nice hits as well. And of course, you can always just chop some out of breaks/samples.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers.

Thank you! Some good Ideas i have to try out! (y)

What do you Guys think about the current trend to "delete" most of the mids in the hatloops?
Like you can hear it in Camo and Krooked or Netsky Tunes?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKTFxnToL4Q

How do you get that sound good? :D

I personally need my Mid-Breaks in the Productions which gives Energy to the Drums.

Otherwise do you have much more Room for other Elements which is also great it if you can handle it..
but it seems that i can't ^^

Last edited:
If the mid breaks are cluttering up your mix, you can try sending them all to a bus and then add a compressor that is sidechained to your kick and/or snare. This way you maintain your mids while letting your snare and kick cut through the mix.

Back
Top Bottom