Harmonic Mixing Key and affect by BPM

Oria

I`ll confess to being firmly in the 'does it sound good' group rather than mixing and matching by 'key' so i've not spent much time on this area ... however just browsed this page whilst ordering a couple of tracks.

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/information/harmonicmixing

Now for those (still) playing vinyl where tempo change brings about key change how do you equate for the change in key ? So say its A-Minor at 165bpm, what is it at 170bpm ? Or 169.7bpm ;)

I'd quite happily record the +/- 0 bpm & key for my collection if i knew a way to gel it together.

If you search "Harmonic Mixing" i think this has been covered in an other thread. Cba to find it right now tho lol.

Personally I think you should stick to your tried and tested method of listening to what sounds good....
Its too easy to get bogged down in the harmonic mixing thing...looking for tracks with the same key also limits your selection - i found that the key was tending to dictate my tune selection, thats when I got pissed off with it. Just because 2 tracks are in the same key doesn't mean they'll sound good together, in the same way that two tracks in a dfferent key wont always sound bad.

It could be useful from time to time as a reference I spose but dont get sucked in to the 'revolutionary new way of Djing' thing they are trying to sell

Thats just my opinion anyway so Im sure others will disagree......

Yeh it does sound pretty good, I do it a fair bit, especially when I'm making mix CD's. Key mixing plus EQ mixing also sounds shit hot! I also do a bit of 'Energy Boost' mixing which is increasing the key by one each track you play ;)

I find it's most effective with Trance & House though, with Drum N Bass it doesn't have the same effect.

i worked it out a few months ago can't remember the exact figure but it's something like +5/6% on the pitch will sharpen the tune by one semitone

Back
Top Bottom