Harmonic Mixing - How accurate is the Camelot System?

DJ.dEcimal

Does anyone actually use the Camelot System (powered by Mixed In Key - on Chemical Records)? Has anyone had any good results with it? Or does anyone think that their sets are just as good without thinking about key at all?

Based on my mix below, the Camelot System got 6 out of 19 correct. Only 31% success rate... meaning that it seems to be more wrong than right.

http://www.mixcloud.com/DJdEcimal/ram100-mix-competition-ramrecordsltd/

Camelot
Actual
Xample & Lomax - Contra
F
F m
Wrong
Sub Focus - Druggy
F
F m
Wrong
Concept 2 - Cause N Effect
C m
F
Wrong
Delta Heavy - Minus
N/A
F m
N/A
Culture Shock & Brookes Brothers - Rework
B m
E m
Wrong
Wilkinson - Refugee
N/A
E m
N/A
Lomax - Artisan VIP
C m
E
Wrong
Shimon & Andy C - Recharge
A
C# m
Wrong
Chase & Status - Streetlife
D m
D m
Right
DC Breaks feat. Rox - The More I Want
A m
A m
Right
Ram Trilogy - No Reality (Noisia 2007 Remix)
A m
A m
Right
Sub Focus - Deep Space
A
A m
Wrong
Basher - Ultraviolet
N/A
C m
N/A
Shimon & Andy C - Quest
A
C m
Wrong
Noisia - Deception
D m
F# m
Wrong
Culture Shock - Machine
B m
F# m
Wrong
Basher - Transmission
F# m
F# m
Right
Moving Fusion - Turbulence
G m
Ab m
Wrong
Sub Focus - Join The Dots
Eb min
Ab
Wrong
Xample & Crystal Clear - Heaven and Hell
G m
Ab m
Wrong
Sub Focus - Follow The Light
G m
G m
Right
Loadstar - BLVD
G m
G m
Right

the fact that u asked this, put me off listening to ur mix

i dont mean any offence by saying that

this

I dont need a computer to tell me if two tunes are horrendously off-key, I can hear it!

completely agree, but if you know in advance you can pick tunes based on their key rather than using trial & error

was just highlighting that the whole camelot thing doesn;t really work and is a bit bullshit

completely agree, but if you know in advance you can pick tunes based on their key rather than using trial & error

was just highlighting that the whole camelot thing doesn;t really work and is a bit bullshit

guess so.. but half the fun is doing Mampi style double drops and mixes with every tune under the sun to see if it works :D but the difference with most people is they can tell if it doesnt work.. poor Mampi..

154294ss_sm2.jpg

HolyGrail036.jpg

CAMELOT!

monty_python_holy_grail_sir_lancelot.png

CAMELOT!

Gilliam_as_Patsy.jpg

It's only a model.....

the fact that u asked this, put me off listening to ur mix

i dont mean any offence by saying that

Haha no worries. As an unknown dj, no one pays a blind bit of notice when you just post up a mix.

this thread has got me some attention and replies... but still no plays!

i played your mix geezah byt found it a bit boring ^

all in key and what not but you got to mix it up a bit to keep it interesting

mood,energy,feel and all that airy fairy shit that just comes off on instinct I think is what keeps the top guys fresh,

anyway,

Haha no worries. As an unknown dj, no one pays a blind bit of notice when you just post up a mix.

this thread has got me some attention and replies... but still no plays!
If u put a mix up I'll have a listen and give u some honest feedback
Don't take it personally man, there's been a zillion ram mixes up and I think everyone is fed up of hearing the same tunes!

Stuff like this is horse shit, just try out mixes and see what works. Tunes don't always have to be in the same key to work together anyway, you'll miss a lot of good mixes by thinking "Oh this is in Dm, so I can only mix it with another tune in Dm".

Stuff like this is horse shit, just try out mixes and see what works. Tunes don't always have to be in the same key to work together anyway, you'll miss a lot of good mixes by thinking "Oh this is in Dm, so I can only mix it with another tune in Dm".

Agreed, but i never said you had to use the same key all the time...

And the first 5 tunes on Andy C Nightlife 5 are all in Fm so don't think u can really say it's horseshit. the whole cd is sick!

the problem is ur paying far to much attention to this

i dont know that the first 5 tracks on nightlife ar all in Fm, what ever the fudge that is!
why are u looking it up, trust me, dont bother.
if it sounds good, do it!

fuck camelot! the lottery people and this fisher price my first mixing colourwheel of i cant be bothered to learn the hard way!

Agreed, but i never said you had to use the same key all the time...

And the first 5 tunes on Andy C Nightlife 5 are all in Fm so don't think u can really say it's horseshit. the whole cd is sick!

I'm not saying the idea of it is shit, obviously the whole point of mixing is to find tunes that work well together, and one of the main things that make tunes work well together is them being in the same or relative keys so that they compliment each other. What I'm saying is horse shit, is the idea of letting software make choices for you. You will end up relying more on computer screens than your own ears, and it will stop you developing your ability as well as you would do without.

Nightlife 5 might sound sick, but do you think Andy C sat flicking through root notes on chemical records before recording it?

I'm not saying the idea of it is shit, obviously the whole point of mixing is to find tunes that work well together, and one of the main things that make tunes work well together is them being in the same or relative keys so that they compliment each other. What I'm saying is horse shit, is the idea of letting software make choices for you. You will end up relying more on computer screens than your own ears, and it will stop you developing your ability as well as you would do without.

Nightlife 5 might sound sick, but do you think Andy C sat flicking through root notes on chemical records before recording it?

Yes.. but that was my original point - this software is wrong most of the time. Of course Andy C doesn't use it, and neither do I - I use my ears. I was just making the point to those who do / have used it that it is really unreliable.

Back
Top Bottom