Hardware?

Discussion in 'Production' started by J Fortune, Mar 9, 2006.

1. J Fortune

J Fortune *Neurocrunk All-Star

Anyone out there use any simple hardware for beat or sound production??

2. Bad Ace

Bad Ace Close2Death

to b honest man u are best stickin with software.hardware wont make u n e betta.jus my 2 cents

3. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

I'd agree, but there is something nice about being able actually touch ( wait for it) you r instruments...( now taht may well be misunderstood :bone: ) ...but something extremly frustrating about paying 600 for a synth and then EMU go and make a PC card version for £200 a couple of years later.
    Real samplers are still better in my opnion, but I sold mine, like Bad ace sed,don't make you sound much better.Just far more features, and control. ( I do sometimes regret selling my Akai S2000)....
    However , a nord modular, or something like that would sound phat:spliff:

4. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

Hardware has more features and tends to colour the sound differently and give a strong impact to sounds but is slower to use most of the time and you may be limited in being able to clean up ropey sounds as with software you can use very precise VST EQs and suchlike.

I'd always go with a combination of the 2. If I had all the gear and the time then I'd probably make my sounds in software then put them through hardware afterwards so I could do the real clinical EQing.

I've bought a desk recently and you can get sick distortion and the bass comes out pretty nice on it but the EQ is so limiting and you have to remember your levels. Once I'm more confident in the fact that I'll be able to mix it and not touch it again then I'll use it a lot more though!

Overall Hardware has a powerful sound and is hands on and dedicated, but can be clumsy or just really longwinded
    Digital is cheap, you can have as many instances of a plugin as you like, and also it's very accurate, but the sound sometimes lacks character and there's a tendency to make things too perfect and clean sounding. Particularly with VST synths, I hate them!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  5. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

what serum said yo