Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Don't produce

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
Vote all of you!

I am a hardware man personally, I'm only using a software for a DAW, and plugins like EQ, though later on maybe those hardware too.

EDIT: choosing i don't produce now means that you use both. Idk how to chang it otherwise

Last edited:
what hardware you got man ?

Mixers: Mackie 402-VLZ3, Gemini PMX-140
Microphones: MXL 4000, MXL 538S
Turntable: Stanton T.92 (with a Stanton brush)
CD Turntable: Numark CDX
Synthesisers: MicoKorg
DrumPads: Ion iED04
Headphones: Technics RP-DH1200

hardware and software best of both worlds even tho u must admit a room full of synths does look mad awsome :D

of course both. im trying to set up my mac book g4 with programs right now and let me tell you its a complete BITCH switching from a setup i know like my own pocket (flp on my pc with all my hardware) to not only this new daw (ableton) but a completely new operating system (mac) which also happens to be completely outdated !!! (g4 10.4.11)
but im going to do this though, trust me, it shall be done. cos i have this romantic notion of sitting at work during lunch hours writing songs

I'd probly have to say hardware, more range of unique sounds. most sounds you couldnt get close to using software (judgeing we are talked about producing)

Performance wise a mixture of hardware and software in my opion is great.. programs like ableton are brilliant, where as you have turntables which are equally good

in the past ive had a microkorg, two electribes and a DSI Evolver.
I wish i still had the evolver cause it was brutal and perfect for dnb but i was a noob then and sold it so i could buy a sp404, i dont really regret it though.

Eventually id like to have the setup of a Virus TI polar and a machine drum with the built in sampler. one day

shits. nice equipment
i cant afford those so i stay on regular comp and little z2300 sub

can anyone advise me with good headphones (with reasonable price)?

shits. nice equipment
i cant afford those so i stay on regular comp and little z2300 sub

can anyone advise me with good headphones (with reasonable price)?

Musiciansfriend.com has great deals man. I get everything from them and guitar center

I'm a Software man....but i'm a convert.

I used to own mad amounts of hardware, from novation supernova 2 XL, access virus indigo, Korg Ex5, roland VP9000, 2 x quasimidi sirius, Korg electribes (drum, synth and sampler (the early ones, blue red and green), an original and working roland Juno 106 (had to let the fucker warm up though, as all the notes would sound bung for 10 mins...moreso towards the higher octaves) a Roalnd JV 2080, Roland jp-8000, and Alesis andromeda.....my pride and joy was my Devilfish Modded TB303, with midi and various cv jacks....and thats not all of it.

I prefer software because of total recall. having to set up each and every synth for each track, was a pain in the arse. same with dropped notes...I fucken hated dropped notes...you could spend fucken HOURS just trying to work out which piece of hardware was causing it to run out of midi channels. then theres the damned cables..EVERYWHERE!!

I've sold most of my hardware now. I kept a couple of bits and pieces, and multisampled a few of them....
seriously though, while hardware in a studio LOOKs awesome, in reality its a pain in the arse. And nowhere near as fun/painless to work with.

Also, hardware still crashes....you'd get some piece crash, and cause all the other pieces to hold a note on, or some other equally bizzarre effect. In my studio, the main culprit for this was the Roland Variphrase 9000....although it was a brilliant piece of kit...it was only so, whilst it was working correctly....was very prone to crashes.

For those of you not in the know...variphrase was kinda of like Celemony Melodyne these days, and it did sound quite excellent.

anyway..enough rambling....software ftw....hardware not so much ftw..imho anyway

hardware is more fun and sounds better with less effort, but can be a pain in the ass.

software is convenient, and sounds pretty good these days, and makes lots of things much easier than before/possible when they weren't. it is also a pain in the ass quite a lot of the time.

both wins though tbh.

Hardwares nice, but the trouble is that theres far to many people who spend silly amounts on hardware synths/samplers etc, only to connect it all up with shit cables and record it through useless converters.

It all depends on what you want to do, some jobs hardware will be more suited to, other jobs software could have the edge. The rate softwares improving at is manic aswel, constantly getting better.

hardware and software best of both worlds even tho u must admit a room full of synths does look mad awsome :D

I'm gonna go ahead and 2nd this...

I'd be uncomfortable if I didn't have my hardware but I'd by lying if I told you all that I pull my hardware out often :clown:

Software = ease of use, no hassle, and solid sound
Hardware = sound, feel, some hassle depending on personal mood

All depends... it's the same as deciding on making drums with a synth or using samples... or both... all depends on the day.

Back
Top Bottom