Hardware Compressors help

Discussion in 'Production' started by elmaruk, Oct 1, 2010.

1. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

Helloooo!

I'm looking to buya hardware compressor, i think its probably a good idea and will add a bit of grit to my Breaks, problem is, i wouldn't know where to start with hardware compressors!

If any of you guys ave any suggestions as to whats good, whats not good ect...I'm looking to pick one up off ebay at a fairly cheap price so i don't want anything too pro. Just looking for a simple compressor, nothing else, just one thatll give me quite a nice punchy sound.

Thanks in advance!
    Introspect

2. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

There are some awsome hardware compressors about, but the budget ones i've heard, I wouldnt pay money for. If you need to free up some resources on your laptop, you will get more back from hardware effects like Verb, or just by freezing/bouncing your channels

The only reason imo to get a hardware compressor, is if you are looking for a specific sound that cant be emulated in software, in which case thats the hardware you should go for, regardless of the price.

have you tried WAVES C1, Abby Road comp, RC, Abletons Multiband Dynamics?...theres lots of really nice software out there, theres plenty of good free Comp VST's about too

At the end of the day, it all comes down to how you use it, a hardware compressor isnt going to make your breaks anymore punchy and phat than a software compressor, if anything it will limit what you can do with it (for eg you can probly at most have 2 mono channels processed at one time), just comes down to practice init

just my 2p, sorry not the answer ur looking for!

3. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

Thats cool mate, im not too informed about the whole technical side of production so info like this always helps!
    also i didn't mean that getting a hardware comp would make my break sound better, its just iveseen many producer interviews any many of them said its good to sometimes grab somthing like an old compresor or maximiser just to add a bit of grit.

Quick question, what do you mean by freezeing a channel?

Ill check out what you have suggested!

Thanks for the 2p!

Introspect

4. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

Freezing basicly turns a live VST into an WAV, which uses a tiny % of the CPU compared to a live VST

diffrent ways of doing it, in Cubase you press the button with a snowflake next to the instrument in the instruments window, in Ableton you right-click the channel and click Freeze

you cant edit midi once that is done, and depending on the setup, effects may be frozen to (ableton 4eg), but you can unfreeze and edit, then refreeze

I'm not sure if there is a freeze function in Reason or Fruityloops, but you can always bounce/render/export the channel as an audio file and then reimport it into an audio channel to save CPU, can be a bit of a pain at first, but eventually it'll just become part of your production process and will take a couple of seconds to do each time

5. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

Awesome mate cheers, im gonna try this out.
    I have Ableton and Reason n all that but i have spent quite a long time using Cubase, and i think that it's probably for the best to continue with Cubase as it has endless possibliltys and fuctions i have yet to learn...such as freezing midi tracks!
    Thanks for that its gonna help alot as my laptops prety dire!

Introspect