"Hardcore will never die"

randomjunglist

Student of Junglism
I'm sure you're familiar with this phrase as pronounced by Suburban Base Records back in the 90's with reference to breakbeat hardcore. But isn't it weird that of all the genres that could've been said to have died, breakbeat hardcore would be among the most dead? No one is producing it, really (to my knowledge; if you know some breakbeat hardcore labels/artists currently active as such, please let me know). Not only that, it's not because it just fell out of favor or anything: it ripped apart into happy hardcore and jungle, with nothing left in the middle. So it fractured out of existence.

But then again, it lives on tacitly and explicitly in much electronic music out there. So maybe it never did die... Indeed, I'd say a good, historical knowledge of dance music would not be complete without a knowledge of breakbeat hardcore. So maybe, oddly, Subbase was right...

Thoughts?

There have always been attempts to revive hardcore - Hardcore Breaks, Future Jungle or J-Tek but in the end of the day all this relabeling didn´t do shit, all this stuff kinda faded..

BUT

there is a lotta stuff out there, just running under the old labels Hardcore/Oldskool and Jungle, dedicated people (old and new) making tunes.

Vapour and his 36Hertz Crew for example, love their stuff

or Gareth Monks

etc pp

Lots of stuff is just DIY, independent, Bandcamp, Soundcloud..altho there are labels and all that, the market is there, always has been, just on a smaller scale.

And yes, you made a good point. It defo lives in other music

Last edited:
Ooh, thanks for the knowledge! Didn't know that there was that undercurrent; definitely gotta check those artists out...

The music's just evolved, the ethos of hardcore has never died. I'm pretty certain this is the case, for a 19 year old like me is constantly discovering a goldmine of underground music from the past, of which hardcore is just a part of.

Great new stuff from Jem One

Release-art-News-and-mixes-image-size1-825x340.jpg

http://36hertz.com/36htz053-jem-one-underground-out-now/

Back
Top Bottom