Hardcore DnB artists

erm i'm pretty sure hardcore dnb does exist still otherwise i'm not sure what all thiese round black things under my decks are maybe some form of house music,
check out machinochrists track #1 hardcore dj, avaliable for free from www.machinochrist.co.uk
and i wouldnt call digital hardcore he has a more dub sound going on.

Check out releases on these labels for a dark sound

Renegade Hardware (untill about 2004 IMO)
Barcode
Tech Itch/Penetration/Freak/Obscene
Killing Sheep
G2
Intasound
Moving Shadow (especially the Gein, Tech Itch, Future Prophecies and Counterstike EPs)
Hardline Rekordingz
(some)Metalheadz
Outbreak
Magic Vinyl (Sleepless by Ben Sage!!!!!)

I have heard that some people (Producer + Teknoist mainly) are calling this branch of dnb Fuck Off DNB especially on Hardline, Tech Itch and Killing Sheep, but i think thats just being a bit silly really

I'm pretty sure the stuff you mention here is not Hardcore but rather Techstep. Techstep is the longest living genre of Dnb and till Clownstep came around I thought it was the worst one.

I'm pretty sure the stuff you mention here is not Hardcore but rather Techstep. Techstep is the longest living genre of Dnb and till Clownstep came around I thought it was the worst one.

Just wait til someone pioneers ClownTech! U won't know which genre to hate most...

Nah mate, techstep appeared quite a bit later in dnb's evolution, about the time that garage appeared and almost killed dnb. It was probably the most popular type of sound for a while.

I don't like it as much as the other sounds of dnb.

Nah mate, techstep appeared quite a bit later in dnb's evolution, about the time that garage appeared and almost killed dnb. It was probably the most popular type of sound for a while.

I don't like it as much as the other sounds of dnb.

I said it was the longest surviving style of DnB. I didn't say it was the oldest. Techstep is the only old style that is still being produced. No one makes 'ardkore inside the DNB scene anymore nor does anyone make Ragga inside the DNB scene anymore.... Hardstep is the same way. Techstep survives much to my unhappiness as I was never really into it but that doesn't mean its all crap, I have quite a bit of techstep vinyl myself as well as its off shoot "Neurofunk".

I think we need to define the word hardcore, do we mean hardcore as in 'rave' or 'aggressive'?

When speaking of dnb this is what 1992 thinks:

Hardcore = rave, 'ardkore, jungletekno, HHC
Aggressive = techstep, hardstep

I said it was the longest surviving style of DnB. I didn't say it was the oldest. Techstep is the only old style that is still being produced. No one makes 'ardkore inside the DNB scene anymore nor does anyone make Ragga inside the DNB scene anymore.... Hardstep is the same way. Techstep survives much to my unhappiness as I was never really into it but that doesn't mean its all crap, I have quite a bit of techstep vinyl myself as well as its off shoot "Neurofunk".

No mate, 'atmospheric' dnb goes way back to 1992 and the very beginning of the split with hardcore (darkcore?).

The ragga sound still survives today, you've got plenty of guys from the US and Canadians making what they call ragga jungle which sounds like it was made in 1994 (amen attacks) and there are plenty of mainstream artists, especially from Ganja, who use shit-loads of ragga elements mixed with typical dnb beats.

The term jump up started appearing around 1996 along with 'intelligent' dnb (bollocks name), both styles are still highly popular. The name techstep and its popularity appeared a bit later (along with neurofunk).

No mate, 'atmospheric' dnb goes way back to 1992 and the very beginning of the split with hardcore (darkcore?).

Ehh..... Atmo doesn't really exist the same way it was back then. Do you still hear rolling amen tracks like DJ Crystal "Warpdrive" these days that are new? Do you hear stuff that sounds like LTJ Bukem "Horizons"? I don't but I don't have my ear to the DNB ground anymore so maybe I'm wrong?

The ragga sound still survives today, you've got plenty of guys from the US and Canadians making what they call ragga jungle which sounds like it was made in 1994 (amen attacks) and there are plenty of mainstream artists, especially from Ganja, who use shit-loads of ragga elements mixed with typical dnb beats.

Yes but its outside of the DNB scene, its like its own little scene the same way 'ardkore is now being made by record collectors, fans, and internet trolls. Its outside of the main DNB scene so I wasn't counting that.

The term jump up started appearing around 1996 along with 'intelligent' dnb (bollocks name), both styles are still highly popular. The name techstep and its popularity appeared a bit later (along with neurofunk).

Ok, I have to completely respectfully disagree. Jump Up is totaly dead. I do not concider clownstep to be jump up, its a completely different animal. I liked jump up, it was pretty darn cool! Stuff like DJ Zinc "Reach Out remix" and most of the old stuff on Ganja was super! Super sharp! Super sharp shooter shooting super super sharp shots! Now thats jump up to me!

(y)

As for Intelligent DnB? I don't even know what that was suppose to be in the first place. Wasn't that another name for atmospheric? I seem to remember it describing the atmo stuff that Photek was making.

When speaking of dnb this is what 1992 thinks:

Hardcore = rave, 'ardkore, jungletekno, HHC
Aggressive = techstep, hardstep

I geuss that would mean im looking for strictly hardcore. I have been downloading a lot of the artists you guys have suggested, and im geussing most of it is tech step? I would describe it by saying it contains seriously repetitive syncopated beat patterns with the addition of a seriously repetitive growling synth noise. i am looking for something that has a beat that is more structured like a break beat, rather than the repetitive tech step stuff. If any of yall get a chance, get jungle sound gold and listen to the masochist. That is the kind of song that really gets me going. I liked a lot of the black sun empire stuff too. I just need an artist that is intense without being insanely repetitive...more musical ideas in the song. Also something that is just as well produced as pendulum. hahah this list is very picky, but what can i say, I know what i want to hear but i dont know where it is.

ha, the best advice mate is to ignore these picky buggers :teeth: and listen to as much dnb as you can get your filthy mitts on, and learn your style.
Masochist is a heavy tune, but most people hear 'hardcore' and they think 'underground', which Pendulum arent really.

I mean, the rave scene did not invent the term 'hardcore', its meaning is not set in stone. I see the term as more describing an aesthetic or feeling.

producers called Noisa may be right up your alley if you havent found them yet ?

haha yes noisia is right up my alley. yeah i was just basically fishing for terms when i first tried to describe what i wanted to hear. the words hardcore and dark seemed proper, but now i see they actually correspond to a certain style of dnb. from what i have found, the style of dnb that i am looking for would be newer jump-up stuff? i geuss thats what its called, i dunno. I just like the sound of the weird detuned basslines and intense buzzing synths that go together well with a fast break that I can dance to.

For someone who doesn't know his shit you sure do know a fuck load about electronic music. In my opinion i think you should download TC - Flatline i think thats tune is what you just described.

Ok, I have to completely respectfully disagree. Jump Up is totaly dead. I do not concider clownstep to be jump up, its a completely different animal. I liked jump up, it was pretty darn cool! Stuff like DJ Zinc "Reach Out remix" and most of the old stuff on Ganja was super! Super sharp! Super sharp shooter shooting super super sharp shots! Now thats jump up to me!

You're missing out:

[youtube]i3DCwJyKSg8[/youtube]

[youtube]5jQ2lGl3Yvk[/youtube]

http://www.realplayaz.co.uk/audioclips/jhr/jhr007a.m3u

http://www.realplayaz.co.uk/audioclips/ganja/rpgcd001_3.m3u

http://www.realplayaz.co.uk/audioclips/ganja/rpgcd001_20.m3u

Ganja has always been jumping. They only started releasing techstep a year or two ago (Ganja-Tek).

Plenty of atmospheric dnb around, Photek ain't techstep and he's as sparce as he was way back. The amens are replaced by equally complex breaks that aren't two stepping.

'Intelligent dnb' is the tag put on LTJ Bukem's melodious sound. Still popular and he's still making it - gave rise to liquid to some degree.

Last edited:
ease up man. The Terminal is a fucking heavy tune. if you're against over-the-top categorisation of music ... :slayer:

Amen, The Terminal is heavy as fook I hammer that tune whenever I play out it goes down very well in darker sets.

I think rather than arguing amongst ourselves we should be trying to help Pprovo1 out & just give him some good tracks to listen to, at the end of the day d&b should be appreciated for what it is 'a versatile form of expressive music'.

Pprovo1 try out some sites like:

www.chemical-records.co.uk
www.redeyerecords.co.uk
www.defcomrecords.co.uk

they will have loads of audio for you to lsiten to tunes

Last edited:
You're missing out:

[youtube]i3DCwJyKSg8[/youtube]

[youtube]5jQ2lGl3Yvk[/youtube]

http://www.realplayaz.co.uk/audioclips/jhr/jhr007a.m3u

http://www.realplayaz.co.uk/audioclips/ganja/rpgcd001_3.m3u

http://www.realplayaz.co.uk/audioclips/ganja/rpgcd001_20.m3u

Ganja has always been jumping. They only started releasing techstep a year or two ago (Ganja-Tek).

Plenty of atmospheric dnb around, Photek ain't techstep and he's as sparce as he was way back. The amens are replaced by equally complex breaks that aren't two stepping.

'Intelligent dnb' is the tag put on LTJ Bukem's melodious sound. Still popular and he's still making it - gave rise to liquid to some degree.

I checked out the youtube things. They do sound like proper jump up. Unfortunatly that Aphrodite thing is just a poor remix of a 1992 track by Rebel MC. Ohh and I thought Ganja Records was dead.... hmm.

Here are som producers for you Pprovo1:
(I may end up repeating some that have been said already but here ya go)

Kemal (Also Konflict, aka Kemal & Rob Data)
Technical Itch
Hive
Dom and Roland
Hidden
Ed Rush & Optical
Phace
UFO!
Gridlok
Prolix
Chris Su
Misanthrop
Spor
Evol Intent
Infiltrata
Kaiser
Radien
Leon Switch
Resonant Evil
Decoder
Nphect & Dizplay
Dylan
Quadrant
Break
Audio
Keaton
Noisia
Limewax
Teebee
Counterstrike
Gein
Mumblz
Stranjah
Unknown Error
Ewun
Phobia
Vicious Circle
SPL
Kryptic Minds
Zero Tolerance
The Sect
Arsenic
Future Cut
Universal Project
Silent Witness

That's just a few I could think of atm, there are plenty more. Should be enough to keep you busy collecting sinister beats for awhile anyhow!

Also to those who think ragga is dead you need to come out of your caves and check again, plenty of action worldwide on the production tip as well as performances.

Peace,

Back
Top Bottom