Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by *shibby*, Feb 2, 2010.

1. *shibby*

*shibby* Member

Hi guys,
    I searched for similar posts but the search thing is a bit rubbish still so sorry if its a repost. I'm running out of room on my laptop so I'm looking into getting an external hard drive, but then found out that I can remove them from an old pc which suits my budget. Can you use a hard drive from any computer no matter the age, is the memory still going to be good? And apart from needing 3.5" enclosure thing, is there anything else I have to get? I only need something really basic just to shove my music onto but my computer knowledge is rubbish so I'd appreciate you keeping the lingo basic. Cheers in advance for any help :)

2. WACKDOSE

WACKDOSE LAFFYTAFFY

You can get some space from your internet provider. Or places off the web like ADrive. And how old is the drive?

3. *shibby*

*shibby* Member

Ah right I hadn't thought of that, will it still link to my itunes or will I have to keep the original files on my laptop?

I have two old computers just sitting around, one proper old one with a floppy disc and a more recent one with a cd drive but they are both pretty old.

4. WACKDOSE

WACKDOSE LAFFYTAFFY

You can really do whatever you want. Just drop off the files there and use them whenever you want. You won't need to keep them onto your computer. It's like how some people back-up their files if they have too many. This is probably more cheaper (even free in some cases) and easier way to do it.

5. DaDarkSide09

DaDarkSide09 Member

6. DaDarkSide09

DaDarkSide09 Member

Web space is a good idea, the only trouble with that though is if you have a lot of files, say 10GB of music, it will take forever to upload them to a file hosting site. Probably be quicker to just whack them on an external drive or buy a couple of USB flash drives. Although you already have some old internal hard drives so i would say just use them mate.

7. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

In answer to your original question: yes you need a 3.5" HD enclosure but apart from that it doesnt matter how old. However age usually means a shit hard drive size (my grandparents one is 32mb :rinsed:) but I think the size is written on them.

Using internet storage for music is going to be a pain imo, would have to upload them and usually upload speeds are shit, fine for word documents and stuff but Id say youd need something "real" rather than virtual to store music.

8. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

Bag yourself a Weston Digital external HD. You can get a TB one for £60-70

9. Blurr

Blurr Wasted Selection

wot smarty said

10. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

similar question, sorry for the hi jack.
    serato? or similar, thinking of getting it! but wondered if i store the mp3's on the hardrive and play from my laptop using serato will this have a slight delay when playing? or would i be better having them stored on the comps hd?
    does that make sense?

11. $marty

There's no point just recasing an internal as it might turn out to be a long process. Besides, the memory might be not even worth it, if its an old pc. Just shell out a few quid for an external. You don't even have to get a TB. You could get a 500Gb one or even lower, depending on how much stuff you wanna transfer from your laptop. These usually work out to be a bit cheaper too. :2thumbs:

12. $marty

I don't *think there should be a delay. Don't quote me on that though.You could always just keep all your tunes on the external and then transfer the ones that you were using for that current mix, on to the comp HD.

13. TongueFlap

TongueFlap Flappin'

1TB is the way forward :D I also have a WD 750gb HD as well. works all good. I'd reccomend gettin firewire tho.

14. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

For the new external hard drives there shouldn't be a delay, however on some old ones it may have a slight lapse.

Keep your most popular tunes on your internal harddrive, move any unecessary pc files onto the external and that way you can have the music mainly on the internal.
    you can get 250gb externals for around 20 quid now a days, i have way more music than most of my mates and i only have around 80gb or so.. (15000 odd songs i think?)

15. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

16. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

also make sure to change your hard drives every three years, or risk losing everything on them.

17. *shibby*

*shibby* Member

Thanks for hunting that link, it did clear a lot of things up I didn't understand and I think it has ruled out using internet storage, my laptop is slow enough as it is.

Yeah suppose really I should check the size too before I consider it as a serious option, hadn't even thought about that.

That's fairly reasonably priced, just going to have to hunt around for a good price.

Cheers everyone for your help :)

18. Naib

Naib Member

There are two types of HDD connections

#1 PATA - Long 40pin (2x20) ribbon cable header
    #2 SATA - nice small connector, size of a HDMI/USB

Now both are still on sale likewise so is the enclosures. So depending on what type of drive you have make sure you get the equiv external housing

19. *shibby*

*shibby* Member

Ahhh thanks I wondered what that was about. So the size of the connection on my old hard drive will determine which one of these I need?

20. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

[​IMG]

PATA is the top (massive ribbon), SATA the bottom (fat red wire), the difference is huge so Im sure you wont get confused :)