Happy Birthday to...

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by ThePapa, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

I apologise for deceiving you guys when I signed up to this forum...if I'd known honesty was rewarded I'd have been thanking you all in march but I didnt so here we are. The person who's birthday we should really be celebrating is that of the Swiss scientist Albert Hoffman who would have been 105 today... :lighter:

[​IMG]

:bounce: :2thumbs::bounce: :2thumbs::bounce: :2thumbs::bounce: :2thumbs::bounce: :2thumbs::bounce: :2thumbs::bounce: :2thumbs::bounce: :2thumbs::bounce: :2thumbs::bounce: :2thumbs::bounce: :2thumbs::bounce:

This man single-handedly changed the course of the 20th century by being the first to extract LSD from the ergot fungus. He famously tested it by giving himself an enormous dose back in April 1943 and this is what he wrote about it...

"... little by little I could begin to enjoy the unprecedented colors and plays of shapes that persisted behind my closed eyes. Kaleidoscopic, fantastic images surged in on me, alternating, variegated, opening and then closing themselves in circles and spirals, exploding in colored fountains, rearranging and hybridizing themselves in constant flux ..."

What he discovered had such a deep and long lasting effect on western culture that it's virtually impossible to overstate his importance...it's safe to say he accidentally the whole world! And of course his discovery helped kick-start probably the greatest party the world has ever seen! I think it would be a fitting tribute if people posted their favourite psychedelic tunes in this thread?

It's funny to think that when these first couple of tunes were first written LSD was still legal and being imported into the US from Hoffman's lab in switzerland by the ship load. If middle-class kids had been more careful about keeping it from their parents it might have stayed legal for longer but that's history folks...

First up 'The Castaways'

Btw his name's Robert Folschow as yes he was a bit :weirdo:

Next up 'Strawberry Alarm Clock'

'Jefferson Airplane'

'Kim Foley'

And finally some English psychedelia for ya...'Cream'

Post what you like but most definately inb4 someone posts that Hazard tune! Aint psychedelic...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

LSD is for mugs fella. It will mash your brains up big time. I know of a few people who ended up in phsych ward permanatly cos of that shit. Not to be toyed with !!!

3. ThePapa

All drugs are open to abuse although I think most of us on here have tried LSD at some point and not been harmed. To be honest I didnt mean to make it sound like I was celebrating the drug itself but rather the effect it had on us as a society. It led to the whole counter-culture thing in the 60's and helped relax alot of the social attitudes towards race, gender and sexuality etc... This all came to us via people in California experimenting with LSD!

We'd be living in a depressingly drab country if LSD hadnt happened. All those who were 'sticking it to the man' helped to pull power away from the cunts in charge and towards the people. This isn't the kind of image you would have seen a few years earlier...

[​IMG]

To be honest I was hoping there were more 60's fans on here but I'm probably way off the mark...I happen to love the sixties so here's a couple more...

4. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

you lied on your application i recon you need to be fired

5. Gumby

Gumby New Member

6. ONSLAUGHT88

ONSLAUGHT88 I sees ya I do I sees ya

never has this smilie been more appropriate.

But as its his birthday i think il let you off. you sly fox you

i think lsd is ok so long as you dont abuse it, i only do it maybe twice a year if that, only once in 2010 and it was the strongest by far.

7. ThePapa

Have to say it's not something I would use regularly...

Found this typically unbiased clip about LSD on youtube. Surprised to see Herojuana's dad talking about peyote at 7m12.

8. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

ive never done lsd
    not that i think its wrong or nuffin i just wouldnt trust myself on it did shrooms a few times and was completely off the walls tried to break my thumb off
    so me an things like that dont go well together

9. ThePapa

Found one of the propaganda films Hazard sampled for the tune 'Psychadelic'. Shame the screaming hot-dog didnt make it in.

10. mansell

mansell husk basically*

11. ThePapa

Not a fan of jump-up then?

12. mansell

mansell husk basically*

nope.... fraid not.