HALP! PLEASE.

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
Hey Guys,
As many of you who know me, know I spend a lot of time adult-ing, and have little time to work on music. So when I get a few minutes every other day I work on old tracks, and recently I started refurbishing this one. Can anybody provide constructive critique, as far as, phrasing to keep the track more interesting, or mixing quality. I feel like this is one of those tracks I have made that could be good if only I was a bit better. Thanks, and as always if you have any questions on how I made something please ask.

ok im really bad at giving constructive feedback but Im gonna try lmao

First things first this tune sounds sick haha.
Drums could use some more punch imo.
Kinda get the seba feel when u introduced that reese in the intro.
At 1:13 there is this high frequency beep in the background. get rid of that
maybe build the drums a bit more in the buildup (kickroll or a snareroll idk)

Then ur drop. Drums are in the background and for some reason they become clear at 2:14
This has to do with your bass thats way to loud.
Like all the elements in the drop tho :)
Maybe add a vocal and play with that. Like drown it in reverb for those atmospheric feels haha

For the 2nd buildup the same applies to your first one build more energy :)

2nd drop is nice. But work on the drums esp. high end since its missing (again)

The idea sounds very nice so far man keep us posted on this!

Also check if u have a limiter on your master.
If u have turn it off it makes mixing alot easier. Also putting every channel down a bit helps :)

PS: If you want some more help u can always pm me :)

ok im really bad at giving constructive feedback but Im gonna try lmao

First things first this tune sounds sick haha.
Drums could use some more punch imo.
Kinda get the seba feel when u introduced that reese in the intro.
At 1:13 there is this high frequency beep in the background. get rid of that
maybe build the drums a bit more in the buildup (kickroll or a snareroll idk)

Then ur drop. Drums are in the background and for some reason they become clear at 2:14
This has to do with your bass thats way to loud.
Like all the elements in the drop tho :)
Maybe add a vocal and play with that. Like drown it in reverb for those atmospheric feels haha

For the 2nd buildup the same applies to your first one build more energy :)

2nd drop is nice. But work on the drums esp. high end since its missing (again)

The idea sounds very nice so far man keep us posted on this!

Also check if u have a limiter on your master.
If u have turn it off it makes mixing alot easier. Also putting every channel down a bit helps :)

PS: If you want some more help u can always pm me :)

First off, THANK YOU! This is awesome critique.

Second

I got rid of the high frequency background bell at 1:13.

So, is it the high end that is in the background for the drums? Or do you feel the kick and snare are sitting back too? Because at 2:14 I actually introduce about four subtle elements of hats, shakers, a break, and symbols. Or do you really think the whole mix is off balanced? Because one of these is an easy fix, and one of these comes with the sadness of resting the whole mix.

I will work on the break down to see if I can add more energy with the drums too.

A vocal would be amazing to play with, any suggestions where to find some?

There is a limiter on, but I only switched it on at the end, and there is a master compressor that comes with Reason I switched on too. Just to make every thing a bit more loud. However while mixing I leave them off, and switch back and forth from mono to stereo.

Thank you again buddy. Your help is fantastic, and you are quite the talented producer so I feel it is solid.

First off, THANK YOU! This is awesome critique.

Second

I got rid of the high frequency background bell at 1:13.

So, is it the high end that is in the background for the drums? Or do you feel the kick and snare are sitting back too? Because at 2:14 I actually introduce about four subtle elements of hats, shakers, a break, and symbols. Or do you really think the whole mix is off balanced? Because one of these is an easy fix, and one of these comes with the sadness of resting the whole mix.

I will work on the break down to see if I can add more energy with the drums too.

A vocal would be amazing to play with, any suggestions where to find some?

There is a limiter on, but I only switched it on at the end, and there is a master compressor that comes with Reason I switched on too. Just to make every thing a bit more loud. However while mixing I leave them off, and switch back and forth from mono to stereo.

Thank you again buddy. Your help is fantastic, and you are quite the talented producer so I feel it is solid.
haha big ups!

About ur drums they could use some highs from the start and your kick and snare could be little bit louder aswell :)

1. cool intro. very cool intro. agree w. leniz suggestions, esp. introducing a kick roll to bring in the drop. n yeah the high elements of the drums come through all of a sudden at 2:14, maybe boost the original elements/consider re-arranging your drum elements to bring some of that brightness to the beginning of the drop.
2. this tune is awesome man, vibes for days for sure, love the symphony meets dnb thing

I left feedback,

"Lovely Intro... reminds me of some of TeeBee's work. The Percussion is smacking really well, nice and loud, with no distortion at loud volume... waiting for the Sub to drop... @ 1:05 - 1:20 there is a constant ringing going on in the background, sounds like line level noise, it is most noticeable at 1:15 and around 1:20 when your Flute kicks in, it fades away. Not sure if that's intentional or not. I checked your 2nd Breakdown and didn't hear it.

Back to the tune, the Flute is wonderful and pleasing to the ear. 1:50 - Yikes, that Sub is huuuge... it works well but it causing a minor amount of distortion in my cheap PC headphones at loud volumes, it's right next to being spot on though (could be my shite headphones). You've managed to Limit the heck out of this thing without causing too much distortion at high volumes. 2:34 - Nice progression on the Bass, changing the Filter Cutoff on your Bass patch was a good move as it added just the right amount of progression and really allowed your Flute and panned right Lead sound to cut through the Mix and have the floor.

3:30ish - Imo, this Breakdown could really benefit from a cool spoken word sample. 3:50ish - I'd like to hear something bright to complement that String riff just for those few measures before you drop back to the 1. 4:02 - YEEEEEEAHHHH!!!!! That additional Sub Drop work is spot on, great progression there. 4:18 - 4:22 I was expecting a big Fill there... I think that's a missed opportunity for a neat Fill or Edit to complement the big Sub Drop work. The Ending is weak imo, and could easily be dragged out for another minute to give the DJ time to have a long Mixout. The tune is done imo, besides my minor additions/edits. Sounds huge, it's just about ready for VINYL."

The composition is nice, loving the rolling liquid flavours and the bass and the atmos complement each other musically, it's just your mix that's letting you down!

The kick lacks low end and punch for me, it gets lost once the tune drops. I reckon there's a lot more space for that reese bass, you could turn that right up and there's plenty of space for your mids in your track too, the loudest element is probably your hi hats at the moment. The second drop is an improvement.

Back
Top Bottom