Half-step Terminology

Menosance

aka OSOI
VIP Junglist
Hi guys,

Falling Stars just came out and it got me wondering what do class as half step or half time???

Is a half-step tune like this (by tempo):

or like this (by bar):

Meno

Last edited by a moderator:
They're both the same thing IMO. I usually call them half time. I mix so much of it now that I kind of don't even notice "half" the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I just call it all minimal, which is probably wrong too.

Half step or half time dnb generally just means that the main snare is on step 9 per bar, rather than two snares on 5 and 13.

The tempo is the same, it just sounds slower cause theres less snares.

Half step or half time dnb generally just means that the main snare is on step 9 per bar, rather than two snares on 5 and 13.

The tempo is the same, it just sounds slower cause theres less snares.

I don't think the tempo is the same though. When I opened Organiser remix in Ableton it registered at 86 while something new remix was registered at 174 if I remember. That's what I use to think that the tempos are the same but there not. That is why this terminology got me all curious which is the proper half time.

I don't think the tempo is the same though. When I opened Organiser remix in Ableton it registered at 86 while something new remix was registered at 174 if I remember. That's what I use to think that the tempos are the same but there not. That is why this terminology got me all curious which is the proper half time.

86 = half of 174. your welcome

i think there is a difference between two tempos when one is half. you wouldnt say hip hop is same tempo as drum and bass...

just putting that out there :)

that doesnt mean theyre the same tempo

its just basic maths that a piece of music thats exactly half the tempo of the other piece of music can be mixed together...

how do you call a tune with no drums at all? no-step?
and only kicks or only snares? lonely-step?

Back
Top Bottom