Guy From DNBA Put it perfectly

Dj Jammin

VIP Junglist
I'm probably going to receive a slating for this, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

I dislike most Neurofunk.

Here's the thing. I've listened to my fair share of Noisia, C4C, BSE, Corrupt Souls, etc. I think what some of these guys are doing with the synth is absolutely extraordinary. It's really amazing. The sounds they make are like alien monsters roaring in some futuristic soundscape. The production is all really fat and really crisp.

But it's not what DnB is about for me.

I think Neurofunk is cold, alienating and completely soulless. It lacks the vibe that got me into Jungle / DnB in the first place, which was all about deep sub basslines, chopped up amens, and the odd reggae sample thrown in for good measure. In all, it was party music for dancing to, even if the rhythms were incredibly complex.

Nowadays, this kind of Neurofunk stuff I'm talking about can really only be appreciated on AKGs at home, where you can really bask in the amazing production quality and width and depth of the mixdown, but that's not what it's about, for me. In fact, the very name Neurofunk is a misnomer, because it really doesn't have any Funk in it at all.

That's my 2p, take it as you will.

Now that is exactly what i've been trying to put across but could never explain it like that. I think exactly what this guy is thinking except i like all party vibes not only the jungle .

i think neurofunk, if that's what you wanna call it, represents a side of dnb that i find more accesible than the jump up sound. it takes me places that hazard and the likes can't even begin to appreciate. although the guy makes a valid point, guys like calyx and teebee make tunes that will withstand the test of time better than that bouncy style. i see them as expressions and soundscapes rather than party music anyway. i enjoy mixing people like state of mind and bulletproof and break and making the mix a journey rather than an hour long wobble session.

Hmm ok…

So it was sub-bass and chopped amens that got you into dnb, jammin was it?

what would you class neuro funk as??????? you just mean techy dnb????

its all down to what people want to get out of dnb..jump around music or music you can get lost in..both have their merits. Its pointless trying to convince anyone you are right or they are wrong….just don’t waste your energy mate. But don’t slag off a genre of music (not just dnb) because you don’t like it when it is clear that it is well made music.

To me I got into dnb through the tech and darker sounds originally around 97 that were beginning to emerge so for me it wasn’t about what tune makes you jump about but what tune had the most atmosphere and made me use my imagination….i like to get lost in music…it might sound weird but that techy stuff or deep stuff has atmosphere and soundscapes…stuff to make you think….

its a mistake to think that dnb should only be made to dance to.

Last edited:
a free man can say whatever he wants

a free man can express his opinions as he wants

a free man can decide whatever music he likes

as i discovered after a really drunk night and arguing with art professors it all boils down to "what is the truth?"

since art doesn't have "a truth" or "a lie" everything goes.

in estonian there is a good expression "kunst ei ole kunsti teha kunst on kunstis kunsti näha" - in english it is like "it is not hard to make art, it is hard to see art in art" - blatantly a dumb sentence in english, but hell...

the meaning is we somehow have to see art in everything (even if we don't see it)

so basically he is wrong and right at the same time... a paradox? :D

Last edited:
its a mistake to think that dnb should only be made to dance to.

IMO if you cant dance to it then its not drum & bass.

OP is spot on with that quote, although I do own some BSE, Noisia, C4C and Corrupt Souls in my vinyl collection I would never make a whole set out of it, nor on the other hand a whole set of rampant wobble.
Somewhere between is equilibrium. If that maketh senseth :D

neurofunk?

clownstep?

hipstep?

techstep?

liquid?

Jump up?

FFS it's all DNB, i wish people would STOP making these stupid frigging names up segregating slightly different styles into specific sub genres.

tell that to the tech itch and freak boys. and what about current value? what would you class that as???

Noise LOL

Sorry I come across well narrow minded on here, but thats what it is to me (I used to be well into it, got the first 5 rls on position chrome)

I don't go to dnb parties with harder sounding dnb for a variety of reasons:

1) the music doesn't appeal to me in a club environment. A car or home, perhaps, sometimes. A club is about being around people with a good vibe and having fun. You don't drink tequila to Tech Itch;

2) harder dnb is generally played in the crappier clubs with crappier sound systems and even crappier toilets;

3) harder dnb has more people on speed listening to it and I hate speeders;

4) less girls and more lanky 16 year olds with spots - looking to buy speed;

5) they all look fucking unhappy, except those who have just come back from sniffing speed in the toilet;

6) bad vibes - see 1)-5).

I've been raving for fucking ages (winding down now, I only go out once a month to a dnb gig) so I'm not pulling this out of my ass. I've been to a couple of wonderful hard dnb parties but give me a choice and I'd rather go to a decent reggae or breaks gig than a hard dnb one - if I want to have fun.

The harder edge of dnb is still dnb but its not the dnb I want in a club and its definitely not the dnb that got me into the music.

The above doesn't mean I won't drop Noisia's remix of Voodoo People at 3am. But by then, everybody is bouncing off the walls anyway.

Oh - and dnb has a massive image problem round here with club owners because of the harder edged sound. It terrifies the normal punters who would happily bop along to High Contrast without knowing that they're dancing to dnb. But if as a dj you say you play dnb or as a promoter you say you want a dj gig, you have to convince the owner he's not inviting the chainsaw & pneumatic drill orchestra round.

Last edited:
Nice dustek. :D And lokki it was actually liquid that got me into dnb :D which then led me onto jump up (Ready or not and Super sharp shooter i think it was ) Now i like it all except as described above cold soulless shite. Maybe the production is out of this world still doesn't stop it from being shite music ;-D

Nice dustek. :D And lokki it was actually liquid that got me into dnb :D which then led me onto jump up (Ready or not and Super sharp shooter i think it was ) Now i like it all except as described above cold soulless shite. Maybe the production is out of this world still doesn't stop it from being shite music ;-D

I wouldn't agree with it being called shite, I find hard dnb quite acceptable at times but its not the part of dnb I love. I hate the fucking part of dnb where you're expected to trainspot Spor and Evol Intent catalogue numbers in a stinking basement to be a junglist. Me, I'm a junglist coz I sing along to Hyper D mixes drinking whiskey with friends on a beach.

neurofunk?

clownstep?

hipstep?

techstep?

liquid?

Jump up?

FFS it's all DNB, i wish people would STOP making these stupid frigging names up segregating slightly different styles into specific sub genres.

was guna write pretty much exactly the same thing untill i read ur comment :2thumbs:

there used to be a time when it was all under one roof now everyone is hating and splitting things up too much,.....its gay. Its all dnb some is good some is bad...so what when your in a club and a heavy noisia or bse tune drops you turn your nose up??
why get soooo hun g up...

all ill say is narrow mindedness hurts no one but yourself....

Last edited:
there used to be a time when it was all under one roof now everyone is hating and splitting things up too much,.....its gay. Its all dnb some is good some is bad...so what when your in a club and a heavy noisia or bse tune drops you turn your nose up??
why get soooo hun g up...

all ill say is narrow mindedness hurts no one but yourself....

I don't turn my nose up if it fits the climate. Wouldn't go to a party that was all chainsaws though.

Note: I'm not calling anybody a 16 year old spotty git who likes speed and rapes sheep for listening to hard dnb, I'm just saying why I don't like the gigs.

jelly.jpg
:teeth:

Back
Top Bottom