Group Think Mentality

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Dugg Funnie, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

Have you ever noticed on the internet that when somebody posts on something like a forum or youtube or any sort of community oriented website that when you post a genuine opinion that veers away from the conditioned response of most of the members, you will be immediately labelled as a troll for life, excommunicated, insulted, and in some cases banned outright (happened to me XD) and your opinion (whether right or wrong) will never be considered as a viable option or a valid idea?

What causes this? Is it fear of change? An anger-oriented response to a perceived threat against the ideas that a person probably was subconsciously reluctant to accept in the first place to accept in the first place, but caved and "believed" in so as to belong to the group and stop feeling the pain of rejection left by the stingy scars of an improper childhood? Fear of not being accepted for your treasonous worldview?

Sidenote: The ocean is filled with plastic, and it's probably gonna kill us all.

2. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

lol, didn't read.

3. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

4. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

YOU'RE WRONG

DeeGun likes this.
  5. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

When theres a rep system, circle jerking follows so i think people tend to 'agree' with each other more on here than elsewhere, but pack mentality obvioulsy isnt exclusive to the internet by any means

6. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

I dont find it coincidental that those who generally have inferiour opinions get upset and make long winded posts about why their opinions aren't wrong.

If everyone disagrees with you then maybe, just fucking maybe, you're wrong!

Hitler had an opinion. Was he entitled to it? of course he was! Doesn't mean everyone had to agree with him tho.

Why do some people get so offended when people dont agree with them? do they need the reassurance that they are correct? are they that insecure about their own views?

I strongly believe i should be able to waltz around naked but nobody else thinks thats a good idea and im not mad.

I'm naked.

7. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

This.

8. Dugg Funnie

/\ According to the group. And the Hitler example isn't so great, because most people in Germany agreed with him regarding those of the Jewish faith (and even if they didn't agree, they agreed so as not to be sen as a spy or traitor or what have you). There's actually an interesting study performed by Milgram originally called the Legitimation of Evil, demonstrates how a great deal of people will just do what they're told because they're told to, despite what they may personally believe about a given situation.

read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

9. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

accept in the first place to accept in the first place

10. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

i think you will find the hitler example is great.
    if you don't think people disagreed with him then please explain WW2.

if you could do it in rhyme as well please because im finding your posts on the dull side.

think dr zeuss - fox in socks and expand upon that.

11. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Bahaha.

That is all.

12. Dugg Funnie

I was referring to the German populous that voted him in and later conceded that the Jews were horrible, nonhuman, greed mongers to be eradicated.

Also, most of Europe had NO problem with the guy, in fact many people LIKED him, until Germany started bombing the shit out of everyone; except Winston Churchill, he knew Hitler was a bad banana, but at that time everyone thought he was a washed up fucking nutjob has-been politician. A hive mind had a great play in those turns of events.

But I guess it makes sense that we've sort of evolved as social creatures so it's better to be accepted by a group (even though their ideas might be killing millions of innocent people, polluting the earth, destroying the intellectual integrity of a nation, etc...) than to stand up for your opinions, because some people might not like having their fragile ego-investments being questioned like that.

And before that gets taken out of context, no I'm not making some sort of veiled attack against any members of this forum, nor am I condoning the Holocaust or genocide of any sort (because to abhor that sort of thing is part of a hive mind that I accept and agree with). To summarize: I'm making long talk of a quote, I believe uttered first by Mark Twain:

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”

Forau likes this.
  13. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

+ rep for the Twain quote. One of my favorites.

14. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

:sadbana:

15. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

Funny story.

I was hitch hiking to work the other day and the guy who picked me up was talking about the jews being in control of the world (by that, it turns out he meant film studios and a few banks) and said he had once told this to a German girl whose response was "We tried to stop them you know"

16. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

[​IMG]

17. fractal

fractal Well-Known Member

amazing

18. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

What 'truth' have we erroneously and egregiously denied as a group Dugg?

Let us mull it over in Waffle. I'm sure we can help bring you round to our way of thinking mwoooahahaha..

19. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

:rofl:

I want to sire a litter with her.

20. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

Also Douglas, its not varied or extreme opinion and its subsequent discussion that is shunned or is labelled as troll ss such...

Its just armchair psychology of any form on the internet is...

IMO

Ranty/egotystical/boring.

Especially on a waffle sub forum on a dnb website...

You know?

What i'm saying is, i guess there is a time and a place.