Great Vinyl Debate - DJ Hype - Is Vinyl Dead?

Vinyl is the only reliable way to mix Imo, I have Traktor scratch and that fucks with my emotions on a daily basis, when I use my mates CDJ's they are pioneer 850's and they are good but been a few times when they have froze on me. Never had any problems with mixing wax, sounds better, feels alot more satisfying to mix and looking at your vinyl collection means alot more to you than looking a load of tracks on a hard drive. The thing that has killed off vinyl is the ease of access you can get MP3's, the space that vinyl takes up, and the price of vinyl (why pay £7 for 2 tunes when you can buy them for £2). Also hardly anybody has turntables apart from DJ's (you get the occasional hipster with their £20 fisher price turntable but they don't count) and now you can DJ on other formats which is cheaper not many people are choosing to mix on turntables anymore which is killing off vinyl but Vinyl is not dead, people who still mix vinyl are keeping the format alive. Can't see the video because I'm at work but thats my opinion on vinyls haha

Interesting video, thanks for posting this up. You gotta love Hype, he's always says it how it is and respect to Playaz for releasing Time Tripping on vinyl. Gutted that digital is taking over though

can't beat the system - go with the flow and do as everyone else. so basically hype likes vinyl more but he uses digital, because everyone else does so. strong character haha. a lot of dj-s actually say that they love vinyl, but use digital even when they don't really like it <- this is what i really don't understand.

a lot of dj-s actually say that they love vinyl, but use digital even when they don't really like it <- this is what i really don't understand.

In most cases, it's because the venues they play at don't have turntables anymore and DJs don't want to be arsed with having to bring their own gear, which I totally understand. Or, the venue does have turntables but they're knackered, which must be really embarrassing for everyone concerned. I can't remember the last time I saw a set of turntables in a club to be honest.

In most cases, it's because the venues they play at don't have turntables anymore and DJs don't want to be arsed with having to bring their own gear, which I totally understand. Or, the venue does have turntables but they're knackered, which must be really embarrassing for everyone concerned. I can't remember the last time I saw a set of turntables in a club to be honest.

Dont agree that clubs dont have turntables. Clubs that put on big nights have turntables somewhere end of! Maybe not on view.. But they will be there

Any decent nightclub would be able to source a pair of Technics if they didn't have their own, especially if it was a big draw outfit asking for them. Most DJs can't be bothered putting in the extra effort involved with playing vinyl any more is the main factor to this trend

Any decent nightclub would be able to source a pair of Technics if they didn't have their own, especially if it was a big draw outfit asking for them. Most DJs can't be bothered putting in the extra effort involved with playing vinyl any more is the main factor to this trend

This aswell. One of my friends mixes on traktor scratch pro, was never able to mix vinyl but he liked the thought of mixing vinyl so he mixes that. Anyone can mix with BPM and waveforms infront of them and you don't even have to listen to the music

Most DJs can't be bothered putting in the extra effort involved with playing vinyl any more is the main factor to this trend

you clearly haven't tried travelling from country to country playing vinyl in lots of different clubs. It became literally impossible around 2010/2011 some time.

... No I haven't, but when I said "most" DJs I meant as in your average bedroom / low tier club DJ

Obviously the big names leaving it behind was the catalyst in the punters switching to a digital mindset.

London Elektricity still does it doesn't he?

man speaks the truth, however hard it is to swallow!

I do hope that the DVS revolution spurs clubs to dust off the old 1210's again though, if youre gonna play digital and have the choice to either hook into cdj's or tt's; tt's every time.

Unless theyre fucked beyond all use that is, or on top of a sub.

This argument is long and tired now.

To me as long as the DJ can keep the dance floor happy and the club full who gives a shit what format it is!

If you want to play vinyl then you pay the costs and take the risks in clubs. Turntables aren't infinite. The amount of useable Technics will be slowly depleting with production stopping a couple of years ago.

I've played vinyl for 10 years, cdj's then for 2-3, then traktor scratch for 2-3 and now I've had an s4 for 3 years (since release). I still play the same music and mix in the same way (I don't use sync like people assume EVERY digital DJ does).

We need to close the book now and worry about more important things in life!

... No I haven't, but when I said "most" DJs I meant as in your average bedroom / low tier club DJ

Obviously the big names leaving it behind was the catalyst in the punters switching to a digital mindset.

London Elektricity still does it doesn't he?

Yeh I think LE is the last dj in the dnb scene that goes from country to country using vinyl.

I dont care if vinyl is "dead" or alive from a djing perspective if the labels put out vinyl ill buy it. I just like vinyl, im no DJ.

I didn't realise hype was indian

How did you get that from the above video?

Anyway, I think Hype is right. I have spent a lot of money on vinyl. I love looking at my collection and playing it but lugging it around has given me some series back aches too.

I think vinyl's only hope of survival is to appeal to a limited edition type market.

I think ant tc1 also uses vinyl still, yeah and vinyl needs to appeal to the collectors aswell if it wants to survive, which seems to be what samurai has been doing with great success so far (obviously the music needs to be good aswell)

For most DJs like Hype it's not really vinyl vs digital, it's more dubplates vs digital. I'd have to spend every penny I earn and some to cut all of what I play in my average set. I'd either have to put my prices right through the roof or restrict my sets a lot, which I'd rather not do.

As Hype says club systems are tuned up to digital now which has a totally different sound and people write their tracks to be played in that format. I still buy and love wax but mostly older D&B and other genres to just mess around and mix with.

One thing I've noticed is that there's been a lot more variation since digital came along because you can afford to experiment more. I remember when you used to go to a rave and every DJ had cut pretty much the same dubs so it was the same set 8 times in a row but in a different order. Now you have more DJs that come at it from their own angle.

It's sad to see vinyl go. Mind you it still seems to be picking up again in house and techno and house DJs were some of the first to ditch it back when CDJ-1000s first came out. Maybe things will swing back round again.

Vinyl is still doing really good for us, we are very far from even considering it as a waste of time or effort, it's the most fun thing about being a label, creating unique products that people cherish to go with great music, but maybe this is because we put out less floor oriented records? People probably don't see the point in owning a record they only play 90 seconds of for 3 weeks or so, thats what the digital market suits.

Artists still love the process and care put into preparing a vinyl product, and most see it as a validity of their release......

Back
Top Bottom