Granular Synthesis

Discussion in 'Production' started by Psychoholic, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Psychoholic

Psychoholic Quantum Cunt VIP Junglist

Hi guys!
    Been diving into granular synthesis a lot lately exploring its aspects and creating textures, and pads with it. What are your thoughts on it ?

I can say I absolutely love it and I'm wiring my own granular synthesizer in Reason 5, I'm in quite an early stage and although I can already create beautiful sounds with my device its not really user friendly yet and im working on wiring all the combinator knobs etc to make it easy to work with, when I'm at a further stage I'll post the patch on here.

The principle of granular synthesis explained:

Cheers !

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
    Sulihin likes this.
  2. spyre

spyre sample all the things VIP Junglist

True, I hadn't looked at it in a while, but recently I made this noise texture thing which I think is kinda neat http://soundcloud.com/spyre/annoiseing/s-VddiJ

What kind of source samples have you found to be the most interesting?

3. Psychoholic

Sound FX files do awesome things when you loop through the complete FX at points and set a high attack, release throw some reverb on it to smooth it out you can get awesome lush pads with all kinds of randomized sound details in it, a single chord played for a minute and you still wil get new sounds out of it.

4. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member VIP Junglist

Love dat shit!

Durk Kooistra (P. sure he's the guy who posts as Polymass here and on DOA) made a pretty slammin to tutorial about using granulized sounds for massive bass monsters.

[video]http://durkkooistra.com/2011/04/manual-granular-bassline-tutorial/[/video]

5. ImbaDnB

ImbaDnB New Member

Try using organic natural sounds for granular synthesis, i've found water to yield some extremely cool results... Try downloading sounds of running water, streams etc and see what you can do

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    Psychoholic likes this.
  6. Psychoholic

Nice one! But in the end any sample you drop in creates almost and unlimited resource for unique sounds.
    Working on a track now that has lots granular stuff going its pretty cool sofar.