Granular synthesis

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
So i really wanna get to the depths of understanding granular synthesis and how it works.

1st off, is there any way to do this in ableton? Or will i need a granular synth vst? If so can you suggest any cheap or free ones?

I don't know about ableton and granular synthesis, but I've got you some info: I started learning myself some new plugins like FM8, Absynth but also Alchemy. I really like the granular synthesis options in Alchemy, you can just load in a audio file and use that as one of the four oscillators. You have all kind of options like timing, size, stretch, and more. Next to that you've got the quality waveshaping and modulation tools from Alchemy to start tweaking. Honestly, it's worth the price!

Also I still like the granular options in Kontakt, work pretty well and got a lot of options!

I've got this freeware granular synth, it's kinda shit, but it has produced some interesting results after processing.

http://www.mastertas.uniroma2.it/ricerca/TexGrSy.html

Also, I might mention that this is the type of granular synthesis that doesn't involve your own samples - thought that might save you the time of downloading it if thats what you were after.

Absynth's granular abilities are awesome too!

fruity loops got a pretty good granulizer...simple but gives some interesting results

+ if u dont have/want to buy, u can always use the demo for (re)sampling

Cheers guys.

Ive been looking into Alchemy, and want it so bad but simply cannot afford it right now.

Im more looking at something i can route audio through to mess about with, like layering a sample of glass shattering over a warped bass, then mutating it to fuck and back with granular synthesis

a rough guide to Sampler based 'granular synthesis'....the great thing about ableton, is you can custom build your ''granular synth'' using whatever tools you like, obviously a little more work than pluging in a premade VST, but a hell of allot of fun!

a rough guide to Sampler based 'granular synthesis'....the great thing about ableton, is you can custom build your ''granular synth'' using whatever tools you like, obviously a little more work than pluging in a premade VST, but a hell of allot of fun!

umm......how?

Im more looking at something i can route audio through to mess about with, like layering a sample of glass shattering over a warped bass, then mutating it to fuck and back with granular synthesis

Check out this guys tutorials if you haven't already. Exactly what you're looking for i reckon, he even layers a granulated sample of glass shattering over bass. Did get posted here at some point before I think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HumanworkshopRecords

YEah ive seen that tut a million times now and still im sure they carefully edit out the really important bits so that no one can recreate their sound. Which to be fair is kinda understandable, cos if i was creating sounds like them i wouldnt share the knowledge with anyone lol!

Anyway, ive been doing alot of research on this subject over the last couple of days and i think i understand it a bit more, had a little play around in ableton and come up with some interesting stuff.

haha yeah thought you may have seen it already seeing as you frequent this forum a lot more than me
have to admit those tuts are good but yeah i tried and failed at getting sounds like that, same with anything in production though i guess, practice practice practice, and maybe one day you will get something that doesn't sound shite

Just had a lil try b4 i buy on Alchemy and i must say.... powerful tool. Theres certain things ive tried with vocals in the past thats been a long process and this makes it so much easier. Looking forward to watching the tuts for this on youtube

Oh hell yeah, Alchemy's a beast....I want it soooooo bad! Just cannot afford it right now tho :(

Camel Audio really are the ones to watch right now....gone from being a couple of guys, to a full team of engineers! Reckon given time, they could give Native Instruments a run for their money!

So Ive been looking into granular sound lately as well. . . . .I did a search and came up with this old thread. . . . . .Any input or update as far as free granular synths go???? I just downloaded a max for live device thats pretty cool, but id like to exhaust all my options and see if its for me before spending tons of time and money. so far, it seems to be the answer.

Back
Top Bottom