Drum & Bass Graham March Tribute Track Advice

Discussion in 'Production' started by Nine Avian Pigs, May 10, 2016.

1. Nine Avian Pigs

Nine Avian Pigs New Member

May 10, 2016
    The track in process: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf5kl1vplckdck6/TributeWIP.mp3?dl=0

When I was getting really into the Drum n Bass scene around middle school, one of the artists I listened to a lot was Desimal. He was very influential to how I made music back then. I absolutely loved the amount of layering that he put into his work. And it created some really chaotic emotions back then. Even though he isn't around anymore, I wanted to make a tribute track for him. Without him I wouldn't have been making drum n bass in the first place.

For doing something in his style I felt that doing a normal intro-drop-rise-drop-outro track wouldn't do him enough justice. So I decided to take on a bit more of a progressive route. (Something like this, but not as minimalist:
    Allowing all the sounds to come together in a neat little ballet of sonic happiness. That's where my problem is... The track feels too controlled and coordinated. When I listen to Desimal's tracks, he used sounds everywhere. Layers and layers of samples, ambience, sub bass. Maybe it's the drum beat. Maybe I'm not putting enough sound into it. I need some other ears to help make judgements so that I can feel like I'm applying his style. Any advice is helpful. I plan to release this track on May 23. Thank you!