Got a gig... Im nervous?!

Krispy

VIP Junglist
I've been DJing for like 4 years but the thing is I have never really played out anywhere, the odd house party here and there and I played at a club twice before about 2 years ago.

I got a gig coming up on a friday at a club and i'm actually quite nervous about it. I think what im nervous about is fucking up and doing a bad job more than anything, I need to get this idea out of my head.

Anyone got any suggestions?

just make sure u have a good hours rinsout early in the day. i find that if i havent mixed the day of an event then i fuck up on stupid things on the night.

same goes for mixing just before u head to the club. if u have a 2 hour rinseout and leave straight away, chances are ur brain might be tired from constant mixing and u may not perform as good as ud hoped. best to leave a break in between even if just for an hour or so.

don't get stoned... will make it worse!

don't get rip-roaring drunk either! a little bit of booze to ease you in might help though?

Good tips! I like alcohol! And Freek I do understand what you are saying about going into it with tired ears.

Also, I was thinking about planning out a set before hand and maybe practicing it once or twice. That way I won't really have to be too concerned with what i'm going to play.

Good tips! I like alcohol! And Freek I do understand what you are saying about going into it with tired ears.

Also, I was thinking about planning out a set before hand and maybe practicing it once or twice. That way I won't really have to be too concerned with what i'm going to play.

Some people say it takes away the fun of playing out and being creative on the spot. If this is your first time playing out in a good while then i would definately reccomend this. it will definately boost your confidence if u know ur set inside out.

dependin on ur tightness... if u have moments of sketchyness u might find the system out there is not great and u either the monitors are crap or the speakers are overpowering ur headphones. if any of this is so then just switch is my advice!

Have your first 2 or 3 mixes preplanned and nailed down tight then take it where ever the crowd wants you to go!

id recommend this^^^

what freek said is a good advice too and richie - each to their own i suppose, i cant mix for shit when ive not smoked anything the whole day.

Be confident mate, inside of you theres somewhere that knows you can smash it!

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

and yeah first few mixes practiced and a few beers, its like darts, you need to find just the right amount and you will be bang on it!

id recommend this^^^

what freek said is a good advice too and richie - each to their own i suppose, i cant mix for shit when ive not smoked anything the whole day.

used to love a toke and a mix... but one day it just made me shit!

thing i find with djing is when i'm in the zone, it's so easy! weed used to help me get into that 'zone'... now, i find that i don't get the 'zone', i'm just worse cos i'm lean!

Like has been said, get the first few mixes right, then your confidence will take over and you should play to your ability. Nothing worse than f*cking up the first mix.

playing dnb?

are you the only dj on the night and if not what's your time slot?

are there other more established local/headliner djs on the bill too?

im just curious, cuz if there is then they will all be judging you.

j/k

just don't suck.
you know how to mix right?
if you don't then you shouldnt be getting gigs lol.

assuming you can mix well, just do your thing and have fun for yourself first. you got booked for whatever reason so figure out what that reason is and just do it.

sorry im kind of an asshole sometimes...but in a good "you need to hear this" sort of way.
:rave:

I clench a medium sized plum in between my bum cheeks for the entirity of the set, without squahing it, works everytime.

:thumbsup:

I take 4 Benadryl right before I play out ANYWHERE, I'm always a nervous wreck.

Might be called something else across the Atlantic, the active ingredient is dihphenhydramine hydrochloride.

Might make ya a bit drowsy, but if you're a nocturnal like myself, shouldn't interfere with any gigs as they usually happen when the sun goes down.

Back
Top Bottom