goodbye free speech, was good while it lasted

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by rysk, Sep 15, 2012.

1. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

im interested to see what waffle thinks of this matter, the guy who posted this has been given a prison sentence, do you think he deserves it? moreover, do you think anyone deserves to be locked up for something said on the internet?
    this sort of shit is starting to make me fear for my freedom, where is the line between expressing an opinion and hate speech? how long is it before you can be locked up for calling someone a bellend?

[​IMG]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-19604735

2. hit em high

hit em high Member

Any views he might hold are automatically invalidated when he posted it on the most monitored social networking site, what did he expect? I don't hold a view on our foreign affairs, but if I did I wouldn't preach on Facebook, what a dumb shit. Got a few of these on my Facebook as well, they do say some pretty hurtful shit, had to think twice about even giving them the luxury of a response. One thing I will say is that I will never understand people who move to the U.K, abuse the system and complain about the way the country is run publicly. Admittedly may not be the case with this guy but still....

3. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

stupid as it is to post this on facebook, it is shameful that having an opinion is now an offence.

this is a seriously concerning turn of events, i think someone needs to challenge this, arguing for freedom of speech etc etc.
    yes you shouldn't spout stuff in a public face, but at the end of the day, people choose to view his profile, they choose to be friends with him. if his post offended him they should remove him as a friend and move on.

4. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

funny thing is, i'm the slightly middle class white boy that's supposed to be disgusted with this...and yet, i ALMOST agree with his statement.

yeah, saying that all soldiers should die and go to hell is a bit deep, but i'm pretty sure he didn't mean that literally.
    like hardcore man u fans wishing death upon liverpool fans or some shit like that.

last time i checked, being a bit of a bell-cheese wasn't a crime. And i'm pretty sure if i were to say the same thing, the absolute most i'd get would be a stern talking to.

plus the right-wing media are gonna tug at the heartstrings of those with soldiers in the family (a large number of the population) and make this Azhar character out to be some kind of nutty extremist as they always do when a muslim does something silly.

5. Toejam

Toejam OOOBEY DOOBEY

Thing is, everyone has a brain fart right? just the innernet generation cant fathom a general comment that can be backed with real truth and an absolute spoon licking tard comment which should have been left in the soft grey matter in that surrounds the squirrel ball sack of a brain they possess, YUNG HUNG PO WING

Jwood27 likes this.
  6. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Toejam speaks the truth as always folks!

Anyhoo this is awful. Can't see where it says he's been given a prison sentence though? We're going to keep getting these threads until youngsters realise that these social networks are more like work settings than sitting in the pub with your mates. They're also in a written format which makes it more dangerous and it can be see by millions of people in a very short time. That's why it's always been treated more harshly than the spoken word.

If this had been written on a bit of paper and handed out at street corners or news sheets with very limited runs he would never have been prosecuted. IMO it looks like the powers that be are fed up with the sort of comments that pop up on Facebook and the obvious belief that the real world shouldn't intrude. The normal defense of free speech stops at the point where you wish death on people which I think is where he tripped up. Maybe they should introduce a short 'libel for beginners' course at school (although that wouldn't quite apply here).

7. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

and this.

8. JHSE23

JHSE23 the yen

9. Scrapped

Scrapped Member

What the fuck is this!?

Since when is this a "law". Bullshit is just being passed these days to give power to the wrong people.

10. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

I think really, there is nothing left of our freedoms but what we make of them. We're living in such a ridiculous time, it's good to have a laugh about it and not give a fuck about it. I mean it's important to care but not to let it control you.... like this fella did. Anger is whatever. Divide and conquer relies on it.

The people that control things are having a laugh. I wish the people in general could realize that too.

Cheers.

EDIT: by the way, i agree with him

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  11. Smickus

Smickus Active Member

The BBC article fails to mention that he actually made a point about the innocent families getting fucked up in Afghanistan.

12. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

well, the BBC wouldn't want to publish anything that might cause the people to question our brave soldiers obvious hearts of gold now would they?

13. charlie131

charlie131 Well-Known Member

armed in the nicest way possible, fuck off with this shit, i've lost friends who have fought in this war...

14. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

my condolences, i'll make it clear that i have nothing against soldiers, so to speak. I have a lot against the men in charge of them, and the media that praise them highly for basically doing their job...which is killing people, and shun anyone who dares speak out against them. I can assure you there are MANY men in the armed forces that shouldn't be allowed to wield a butter knife let alone a firearm, but i'm not that much of an arsehole to go tarring them all with same brush.

what you quoted was more a comment on the way the BBC portray our armed forces as saints, as opposed to a comment on our armed forces themselves.

I'm sorry if i caused offence.

Moskit likes this.
  15. modern

modern Member

I don't see anywhere where he joined in and discriminated against the soldiers, more or less just asked opinions on what the guy said.

16. modern

modern Member

Except for maybe the sarcasm.

17. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

I am completely disheartened that nobody has yet pointed out that Ahmed is posting about Ahmed... :)

18. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

They don't call it the theater of war for nothing.

My dad was drafted into the air force when he was 23, my age now, he has been suicidal ever since I was young. I have no disrespect towards soldiers. But it's all bullshit. War is fucking bullshit. $$$

Everybody should watch this first video. America is fucking different than UK. You guys have no idea how fucked it is over here, even in the upper class.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  19. modern

modern Member

Right on for George Carlin.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  20. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

cheers man, yeah.