Good sounds for dnb on reason 4

lostinthegroove

i've pretty much conquered dubstep on reason but i hav'nt got the slightest idea on dnb. Ive tryed messing around getting beats but im struggling to get a beefy dirty sound and just writing the drums itself. can anyone help?

it maybe useful for you to try and find some rex breaks... itll give you an idea how the drums work.. you can find dnb sample packs for reason thatll get you started...

if you want to make drums from scratch you have a long (and usually daunting) process infront of you before you get it sounding perfect!!

if you dont have a good clean original sample, say a snare, the common thing to do would be to grab 2 or 3 seperate samples, EQ them seperatly, and layer the 2 to create a unique sample...

this will giv u an idea on how most stuff is made.. lots of experimenting..

but if you can find some sample packs i suggest that to get you started :)

cool cheers yeh ill check them out. I wanna be writing more spor/noisia sorta stuff so do you have any tips on like preset sounds to use?

hey lostinthegroove; look for a preset for spor or noisia, you will lose the game.

also searching the forum would have found you some noisia samples.

just look for neuro bass tutorials online and alter the methods for your chosen synth / generator. i think bouncing down audio is the key to neuro.

are those presets on reason? cool man. Im ok at writing synth/bass its just drums i ent got a clue on sounds/structures ect. ill av a look at what you said anyway

your gonna hav to build up your drum sample collection, lots!

and with techstep you may be needing multiple samples for one hit and EQ and layering them. Unless you find some really good samples that dont need any work

what i mean is that you will have the low end of snare you want and the high end of different snare you want, so to put them together you cut half off one, half off the other and stick dem together!!!

Double it up. I have been able to get some disgusting bass out of reason by adding different bass elements in layers.
-Start with a bass tone that will distort well, and add a bit of distortion.
-Then add an organic bass tone like a bass guitar to add a bit of realistic shuffle to the mix
-Then add sub bass, 80hrz or lower (just to fill in the sound)

You can copy your midi notes from one sequence over to each other instrument so they are all playin the same sequence and in key. Then you may want to subtract some keys from the sub bass because it will sound much better (especially if you have a busy midi sequence.)

You can do the same sort of thing to make a reece:
-open a combinator and add about 5-6 maelstroms all loaded on the same patch, then slighty detune each maelstrom to get your reece sound.

Don't forget to bus in some mastering combinators on your mixer. I like to create a combi-mastering for each section of the track like Drums (all rex's & redrum & NN-XT drum hits), or Sub Bass, Lead bass, Pads etc.

Back
Top Bottom