Good or bad?

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
There's something that I've been noticing recently and I need some opinions

I've been mixing for less than 2 weeks with my decks, and all I can say is that im loving it. I am capable of doing some nice double drops and beatmatching is becoming less of a problem everyday

However, i noticed a lot of DJ's when messing around with vinyl actually use their hands and touch the vinyl itself a lot, either to speed up the track a bit etc

I've never touched my vinyl. I only mess with the pitch (pitch riding) and I dont have any problems at all beatmatching etc.

Is that good or bad? Should I start doing what they do?

personal preference really..

I mean a majority of the dj's on here pitch ride, whereas i don't, all the dj's from around where i live (small village) do the same so its how i got taught to do it.. i know it is considered 'the noob technique' but its how i mix!

I do wish i had started out with pitch riding, but oh well, this is how i mix and im still enjoying it so it doesnt matter really!.. I know people are going to be commenting on this about how much of a 'noob' i may be and how i should be pitch riding and im mixing wrong, but is there really a right and wrong way of mixing?

No you're doing it perfect. Don't touch the vinyl, keep using the pitch adjuster. This way everything will be smooth and you won't get the sudden skips etc from touching the platter. Touching it is noob technique, so you're doing well at 2 weeks to be pitch riding (y)

The only time you should touch the platter is when you've had some spare sequences and you've used them to get the pitch sorted, then when you go back and play it from the start and need to get them back in time you would do this manually, as you don't want to change the pitch as its already perfect.

there is no good or a bad way but I do it both , it can be a good combination to touch it and pitch ride at the same time..

is this ur first 2 weeks ever of mixin? thats pretty fast man !
pitch riding means u wont hear any nasty sounds as u speed it up/ slow it down.
i use both, depends what dnb im mixin with jump up u can get away with touchin the vinyl a bit more imo

I touch the vinyl when im pitching up in my headphones, try to avoid it once ive brought the tune in. I learnt in the same circumstances as muzzadj. We all learnt at around the same time with no 'master dj' to show us the ropes, but im trying to retrain myself, its all about feeling comfortable. You're doing very well by the sound of it tho, record a mix and get it up on here my man.

only touch the record while cueing in the headphone. thats the only time its acceptable haha.

if you have technics or vestax etc the pitch is tight enough to lock in almost perfect. this is really important when you have 3 decks. you cannot allow space for error. just practice not touching the platter

you never need to touch the vinyl/ platter. then you avoid any huge audible skips/ jumps etc.

peace. i hope this helps

i do a lil of both now. like others stated, i just touched the vinyl n platter a lot while still cueing. i never used to pitch ride, but i started practicing it more as i read about it more.

Last edited:
i do a lil of both now. like others stated, i just touched the vinyl n platter a lot while still cueing. i never used to pitch ride, but i started practicing it more as i read about it more.

yeah im kinda the same..

But everytime i go to do it i do it 4 like 3 mixes then think 'fuck this' and just rinse out my style lol.

Um? Sounds good to me. You must touch your vinyl though to put it on the platter and release it? Unless you know of some magical method???

I touch my vinyl a lot but mostly to rock it to mix it in, I don't speed it up/slow it down by touching it though. You get your own method I think but it is always good to see how someone else mixes to learn more :)

noob

Um? Sounds good to me. You must touch your vinyl though to put it on the platter and release it? Unless you know of some magical method??

Yes, I just clap my hands and the vinyl comes flying out of the bag into the deck

also, I can cue tracks with my eyes

CLANGING BEATS AND DESPERATE STALLING OF THE RECORD; EYES DARTING ROUND THE ROOM TO CHECK NO-ONES NOTICED FTW

Ha yeah I do post some stupid things. Noob? What does that mean?

A tip is to record your mixing, I used to use a really old tape recorder when I first got my decks, I thought I was mixing great until I heard it back!

Back
Top Bottom