Good, bad or worse?

monq

Ok, I have been listening to d&b for a couple of months now, and I have been trying to decide what I like / what I do not like. This is not to say "what's good or what's bad": I am such a n00b3d when it comes to d&b, that I simply have not got a good reference: I either like tracks or I do not.

My favourite tracks right now are Atlantis by someone called LTJ Bukem, and a track called "Valley of the Shadows" by an apparently unknown artist...

Also loved another track by LTJ Bukem called Horizons - so I guess I am kinda into what this guy is making...

Now, my questions are: is this proper "d&b"? What sub-genre am I listening to, and finally: do I like this because I am a n00b and all n00bs like this type of d&b, or have I managed to select particularly good music?

Anyways, again sorry for being sooo "out"! :D

valley of the shadows is origin unknown bro
and i think d&b always has good tunes and bad tunes tbh

nuTEK, the thing is, I am trying to analyse what I like in d&b... since I have listened to quite a lot, and I am finding it difficult to pinpoint the exact differences between sub-genres, or what defines good d&b. I am trying to produce some relatively d&bassy stuff - but I notice how I tend to move away from what I believe are core elements of d&b.

So I would like to define a few tracks that are the "definition" of good d&b in order to do a small project and create at least ONE d&b track myself... even when I guess I will end up adding too much of my own non d&bassy ideas... if this makes sense? :D

My favourite tracks right now are Atlantis by someone called LTJ Bukem, and a track called "Valley of the Shadows" by an apparently unknown artist...

Also loved another track by LTJ Bukem called Horizons - so I guess I am kinda into what this guy is making...

Now, my questions are: is this proper "d&b"? What sub-genre am I listening to, and finally: do I like this because I am a n00b and all n00bs like this type of d&b, or have I managed to select particularly good music?

Those tracks would probably be defined as Jungle (or Atmospheric Jungle/Dnb in Bukem's case). Those songs have a legendary reputation and the producers are regarded as being innovators etc, so I would say that you have an epic taste in Drum and Bass and are far from being a noob.

If you like LTJ then I recommend PFM (y)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYHE4HtWgTM

Last edited:
wOOt!

Well, thanks for your feedback OCR. PFM is in absolutely beautiful track >>> I have always been a sucka for well layered pads with a hint of disonancy (is that even English?)...

How the break starts against the padded intro is an absolute wonder... and I am definitely have to add PFM to my list!

My strongest musical background is baroque music (I am passionate for Buxtehude and Bach music), mainly because they were the precursors of dissonant chords in music. I have only found the genius of Baroque music in some genres of "modern" music -- mainly, some metal and now d&b.

Again, thanks for the feedback, at least I know now what I am after! :)

Ha, I can't wait to hear what you actually come up with after you finish analysing this and that. Not taking the piss at all....I am actually looking forward to it.

Mate, I seem to be really good at analysing other people's work but absolute crap at producing proper stuff myself, so I would not expect much! :D :D

Also, most of my music has quite a double agenda (i.e. my latest "production" had samples from David Cameron and Brown being nasty to each other, but with their voices reversed - I basically wanted to be able to say that I DO care about our leader's voices, but not about whatever they say! :D

So yeah, more than drum and bass I guess I will create wtf and bass or stg like that! :D ;)

Yeah, I kinda guessed that. That's why I'm interested! If you want a second opinion on any tunes PM me a link and I'll give a HO.

Thanks a bunch for the offer Subprime, and I will definitely send you a link to my current project once is relatively completed! :D I am extremely interested in other people's oppinions mainly to try to ensure that the quality of what I do is more or less decent -even when my main intention is to have a laugh and to enjoy creating! :D

Again, cheers :)

That LTJ.. I remember when u sent me so high in that blue sky.. (I guess I'm still drunk)

good tastes, LTJ is a genius :)

nuTEK, the thing is, I am trying to analyse what I like in d&b... since I have listened to quite a lot, and I am finding it difficult to pinpoint the exact differences between sub-genres, or what defines good d&b. I am trying to produce some relatively d&bassy stuff - but I notice how I tend to move away from what I believe are core elements of d&b.

So I would like to define a few tracks that are the "definition" of good d&b in order to do a small project and create at least ONE d&b track myself... even when I guess I will end up adding too much of my own non d&bassy ideas... if this makes sense? :D

Stop what you are doing and try to make some dnb. These non dnb hings will make it sound original, you never know, you might be on to something new and exciting...

The best definition you could get for dnb in a creativity sense is that it is only a tempo (160-180bpm ish) the rest is up to you blaaad.

Stop what you are doing and try to make some dnb. These non dnb hings will make it sound original, you never know, you might be on to something new and exciting...

The best definition you could get for dnb in a creativity sense is that it is only a tempo (160-180bpm ish) the rest is up to you blaaad.

:word:

drum and bass is more a tradition than a genre.

there r diffrent styles of dnb. and stuff/influences put into it from
jazz/rock/techy stuff..

the only thing that "makes it dnb" is a tradition we all keep and that is to keep it at 160 - 180 bpm and have some good bass xD

I like all styles of D&B, as such I would say your best bet is to have a listen to some of the highly regarded producers in each subgenre.

If you look at the extremes each has to offer you can find out what you do and don't like. Obiously nothing is clear cut and genres blur but my advice is to listen to:

Liquid Funk - High Contrast, Logistics pretty much anyone from the hospital camp

Techstep - Limewax, Current value (their earlier stuff is better)

Deep - Calibre, DBridge, Marcus Intalex, Lynx

Jump Up - Hazard, Original Sin, G Dub, Taxman

Dark - Black Sun Empire, Noisia, Phace

Dancefloor - Subfocus, Chase and Status

Jungle - LTJ Bukem, Photek, Peshay

Drumfunk - Seba, Paradox, Alaska.

Also a good way is to find favourite artists and then have a look at the label's their releases are on.

If you're into bukem check out the Goodlooking and early metalheadz stuff.

Hope this helps, sorry if I went a little off topic

LTJ is a good way to start. If you like his sound and you like a bit of variation i strongly recommend: LTJ Bukem - Some Blue Notes of Drum n Bass. Basically has a load of Jazz and stuff like that on it plus some atmospheric jungle!!

For me one of the all time classic DnB tunes that sums it all up is Requiem by Nero. I still use that tune as an intro double dropped with Druggy and it smashes it everytime.

all dnb is different mate, its generally what tunes make u really wana give it some that people like. i also like dnb that makes me wana chill and think about shit! try not to take too much notice of sub genres.

im not very up on drum n bass i only really listen to commercially available stuff. but i read somewhere that valley of the shadows was like the first dnb track ever and that:andy:had something to do with t and that is why he got so big...

im probably wrong though seen as no-one has mentioned it yet...

Mate to be honest it really dosent matter what a forum thinks is good or bad music.
listen to what you enjoy listening to...not something you dont just so you can feel like more of a junglist lol.

Back
Top Bottom