Going to do my first DJ-set live, what do I need?

JimpaDirt

Vettvilling
VIP Junglist
A pal just asked me if I could play a pair of DJ-sets in between some other bands at a local event. However, this place I'm going to DJ at haven't got any equipment so I'm going to have to use my own stuff. And right now when I dj at home I just plug my mixer straight into my computer and thats it, no need for being fancy at home.

So what kind of cables and stuff will I need to get connected with the sound system at this place? I got one of these shitty things as my hardware: http://www.thomann.de/gb/numark_mixtrack_pro.htm but I guess its good for a start :)

These only got 2x stereo outputs (two left and two right, red, white you got it). So I guess I need a stereo cable with a tele on the other end? but I know nothing about it, is there something else or isn't this the cable I need? haha :D

tbh it depends what sound system / setup they have. I'm assuming if they are a band they will be plugging in a stereo jack lead for something or other so you could probably use a connector for that. hoping a band will have suitable monitors for u

i dj'd in between some bands and i used a jack into one of their guitar inputs... honestly it sounded gash compared to the previous band and even more honestly the crowd that were there to see 2 bands play slit your wrists guitar band type music really didn't like any of my renegade hardware tracks.

Yeah, alright! Lets hope they got something suitable then ^^

I guess that they are going to have a linebox up on stage as the bands that night are quite synth-based, most of them. Guess it wouldn't be a problem to just plug myself into one of those, I came to think of now!

Best bet is to ask the person who'll be setting up the equipment what connections there will be available, and hop on ebay and find converter cables to get it to interface with your sound card.

By the way, mixtrack's sound quality on anything bigger than a bedroom sound system is gash. Same goes for majority of midi controllers really unless your shelling out like a grand on it. Just fyi.

Does the mixtrack have jog and vinyl mode? Or is it just gonna be a sync button sesh? (Not having a go, genuinely curious)

Good point, you wouldn't want to be buying the wrong stuff!

And yeah, I would have guessed that... God I really got to get a job, this hobby is really expensive!

Does the mixtrack have jog and vinyl mode? Or is it just gonna be a sync button sesh? (Not having a go, genuinely curious)

It has "scratch mode" witch makes it act like a vinyl!

Good point, you wouldn't want to be buying the wrong stuff!

And yeah, I would have guessed that... God I really got to get a job, this hobby is really expensive!

It has "scratch mode" witch makes it act like a vinyl!

What i mean is, a lot of midi controllers make it extremely hard to beatmatch as you can only move in one mode. For example my mates shitty numark total control is impossible to mix with because you touch the platter and the tune stops, you cant nudge it forward or back, you can only spin forward and back.

"witch makes it act like a vinyl!"

Im pretty sure it acts nothing like vinyl, but i get your point lol.

What i mean is, a lot of midi controllers make it extremely hard to beatmatch as you can only move in one mode. For example my mates shitty numark total control is impossible to mix with because you touch the platter and the tune stops, you cant nudge it forward or back, you can only spin forward and back.

Correct me if I am wrong but can´t he change this by mapping? :D

if it was me i'd tell the organiser to sort out the set....your just the dj.....plus surely you can go and set up before the gig starts....depending on the capicity you could go and invest in amp and speakers....ebay?? cheap as chips...and you'll always use them again surely

Back
Top Bottom